Mahlkonig Peak Grind-by-weight - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
vpnogueira (original poster)

#11: Post by vpnogueira (original poster) »

Hello,

When the Peak was launched, in the news (below) it was said that Mahlkonig would offer it as an add-on to existing Peak: "The new grind-by-weight technology Mahlkönig is working on will be a feature added onto existing machines, allowing the machine to electronically sense a portafilter's proximity, start the grind automatically and stop when the desired dose of coffee has been ground. The Peak on display at HOST Milan had a functioning grind-by-weight add-on installed, although that feature was not built into the Peak on display at the Portland event."

http://dailycoffeenews.com/2015/10/29/m ... ight-tech/

I have exchanged emails with Hemro (by email) and with Mahlkonig (at Instagram). What I have been told is that: (i) the grind-by-weight will not come before mid-next year, and (ii) it is not clear if it will be available as an add-on to existing Peak machines or not.

What I said is that given the expectations set during the release of the grind-by-weight feature (link above), I and mostly likelly many other current Peak owners, would expect that either: (a) Mahlkonig provide an add-on grind-by-weight that users could install in their Peak grinders, or (b) if the changes for the grind-by-weight are too extensive, that it be offered as an upgrade to existing Peak grinders, to be installed by the dealers. I believe that if enough Peak owners express their views regarding this point to Mahlkonig / Hemro, there is a reasonable probability that they will offer either alternative (a) or (b), so please contact them if you care about this.

Cheers,

vpnogueira