Profitec 300 PRO vs Rocket Appartamento - Page 5

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
timbozi

#41: Post by timbozi »

roanjohn wrote: On a different note, what grind settings do you have on the Baratzza Vario with the LP? Are you on 1 or 2?
Sorry i wasn't more specific. I'm using the Baratza Virtuoso with upgraded gear box and burrs. For this machine it's required to dial-in the correct grind by rotating the hopper. Different roasts require a different setting and I'll adjust the grind with new beans for the first several shots.

A few things that work for me to get a good shot with nice crema from my LP:
-- it's critical that the beans are not over-roasted. My very rudimentary way of determining this is no visible oils present when looking at the beans, they have to be bone dry, otherwise no crema! Literally any beans that have visible oil will just flush through.
-- store all un-ground beans in an air-tight container, i use the Airscape container
-- only put in the hopper what you're going to use, do not store extra beans in the hopper
-- pull a blank shot each morning once the machine is to temp and you're ready to brew

I've been really happy with my LP and have a ton of fun with it. What i didn't realize is how much I'm missing out on by not having controlled temp/pressure and am really excited to get into a machine that offers it. The two you originally posted are perfect size and both look awesome. Another that I've started to look into is the Lucca A53 Mini over at Clive Coffee, but it's more $$ and a little larger, but it sure is pretty!

roanjohn (original poster)

#42: Post by roanjohn (original poster) »

@timbozi - got it! Thanks! The La Pavoni is indeed fun to practice and experiment on. Even the speed of pushing down the lever can make or break a shot. Will have to experiment on different beans etc :) Everytime a pull a naked shot, water always spurts in all direction!

The Lucca A53 is a nice one! Especially with the walnut sides. I like the retro vibe and Clive Coffee made a very attractive video-mercial!

Supertrent1

#43: Post by Supertrent1 »

roanjohn wrote:Amazing! You are too modest! That is a great looking shot! I could never pull that much crema with my Pavoni (using fresh beans), maybe I need to play with my grind setting etc.

Thanks!
That's due to the Robusta in the beans. The roaster I bought them from seemed decent so I just picked up a thing of their house espresso blend without looking or questioning (just checked the roasted on date). Definitely wasn't thinking they would be a blend with robusta and I was super dissappointed when I went home and looked at their blend online. They're just the only beans I had to pull shots with and I don't want to bin them completely so I'm just using them for now and making milk based drinks until they're gone :)