What Prosumer Grinder Should I Get For Both Espresso & French Press - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
onthego

#21: Post by onthego »

Boldjava wrote:While I understand the logic, I don't recommend that for someone starting out. It is too big of a hurdle to jump.

I started with and have stayed with (11 years) one grinder for all preps, to include espresso ('82 Swiss Cremina). I bought on advice of Mary at Chris Coffee when I was starting out and emphatically told her, "but I am not doing espresso." She said, "You might be someday..." She was right.

I have avoided the upgraditis. What did I buy from Mary? A 58mm burr size, MACAP adjustable. I do not have the precision driven needs that some of my bros and sisters on this site do. There are better espresso grinders out there, absolutely.

But for day to day preps, Turkish to press pots, I will put my stepped, doserless MACAP 58mm as an all preps/utilitarian grinder up again any grinder in the price range. https://www.chriscoffee.com/MACAP-Doser ... mc4c18.htm
Two dedicated grinders would be the best way to go but if you can't make that work and need a single multipurpose grinder, the stepped Macap M4 would be at the top of my list.

one1speed

#22: Post by one1speed »

It seems you are well underway with the Virtuoso. I was going to recommend looking at the refurbs on the Baratza site. There, you could likely get a Virtuoso and Vario for just a little over $500. We use a Virtuoso every day for Aeropress, Chemex, etc., and have a dedicated espresso grinder.

Looks like you're on the same track. I will tell you from experience that the Virtuoso is great for all kinds of coffee making we've tried, but not great for espresso. You can get by for a short while, but you'll want an espresso grinder. If you can stay around $500, there are a lot of options to consider.

That's a few months off, so best of luck. Who knows what will pop up by the end of the year.