Custom Astoria Fiore 2 group lever machine has finally landed!! - Page 7

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Ellejaycafe (original poster)

#61: Post by Ellejaycafe (original poster) »

Almico wrote:Wonderful, William! Pump and grinder running off battery/inverter power?
Yes sir. Manual fill and flojet setup for the machine. Using a 125aH battery we could run it like this for 12+ hours and only run the battery down to 50%. Ran way better than expected.

I know you will be running a 3 group lever soon so feel free to hit me up with any questions on my experience.
LMWDP #544

#62: Post by Ellejaycafe (original poster) »

doubleOsoul wrote:Awww... thank you so much :) . Very kind of you to say and very appreciated after this week (long story). I forgot to say that your set up would have me hitting you up for a daily shot (believe me when I say I don't buy coffee out much). It looks perfect - warm, inviting and evocative of someone who cares about more than just selling me a drink. Good luck! :D
Things are always better with a well prepared coffee!! That's all we want to do. Bring back the experience of buying a coffee and forget the pretentious nature that comes with 3rd wave.
LMWDP #544

Advertisement
Balthazar_B

#63: Post by Balthazar_B »

William, how helpful are those temperature strips with hot and variable weather?
- John

LMWDP # 577

IMAWriter

#64: Post by IMAWriter »

doubleOsoul wrote:Awww... thank you so much :) . Very kind of you to say and very appreciated after this week (long story). I forgot to say that your set up would have me hitting you up for a daily shot (believe me when I say I don't buy coffee out much). It looks perfect - warm, inviting and evocative of someone who cares about more than just selling me a drink. Good luck! :D
Cher, having visited William's "indoor" setup, I can affirm makes excellent coffee, and is customer-centric. William, I GOTTA get some coffee from that machine!! Is it pretty much the same blend formula I tasted months back?

#65: Post by Ellejaycafe (original poster) replying to IMAWriter »

Things are a lot different since last time you stopped by. We are working with our roaster now to make the blend a "seasonal" blend from smaller lots so we have to change it whenever we run out of a coffee. Right now it is.

1/3 Brazil Natural Sitio Rosario
1/3 Brazil Natural Yellow & Red Catuai "Sitio Colina" Estate grown
1/3 Organic Ethiopian natural hambela

Still very much a crema bomb with all the naturals and it's of milk chocolate, toasted nuts, dried fruits, and cherry.
LMWDP #544

#66: Post by Ellejaycafe (original poster) »

Balthazar_B wrote:William, how helpful are those temperature strips with hot and variable weather?
Insanely helpful actually. I would imagine it would be akin to having the EricS Thermo on an e61. It let's me see what's going on and gives me a reference point on how to pull the next shot.

I found myself running the groups cooler than I would indoors because they would heat up with consecutive shots faster in the outdoor heat. If left idle I would have to flush the group to bring it up to temp. Without the temp strips I wouldn't know that the group was idling cooler than normal nor would I know they were getting too hot with back to back shots. I brought an extra set of spouted portafilters to cool down the group when they got to hot. I would put the cold portafilter in the group to cool it down instantly instead of waiting.

Without the temp strips I wouldn't have any of these insights into my temp management. So I would say they are a must if you want consistent back to back shots.
LMWDP #544

Balthazar_B

#67: Post by Balthazar_B »

Ellejaycafe wrote:Insanely helpful actually... So I would say they are a must if you want consistent back to back shots.
Thanks, William. Are those Omega-manufactured thermal strips?
- John

LMWDP # 577

Advertisement

#68: Post by Ellejaycafe (original poster) replying to Balthazar_B »

I got them from orphan espresso.
LMWDP #544

Balthazar_B

#69: Post by Balthazar_B »

The resolution is a little low on your photos; are you using the 90-120C strip?
- John

LMWDP # 577

#70: Post by Ellejaycafe (original poster) replying to Balthazar_B »

Yeah the iPhone isn't known for high reslolution photos :lol:

I am using the lower end strips 60-90C. I pull the shot when the 85C line is fully green. When I pull the lever down the 90C line goes full green and I'm happy.

I had the higher strips on the groups I removed from the machine and it barely helped me at all. For my machine and coffee these are the reference points that work best for me.
LMWDP #544