Pharos parts, anyone else make/mod? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
opother

#11: Post by opother »

Speaking of Pharos I just used it yesterday to make a real good 1/2 gallon of cold brew coffee (Oslo Colombian beans roasted for cold brew) using a setting that produced a super chunky grind with a fair share of varying size particles. I let it sit in fridge for 14 hours and strained it. It is quite good and the results frankly exceeded my expectations by a small/moderate amount.

I could taste fruit like flavors and it was not in any way bitter. I expected a little bite (bitterness) but there really was none instead I got a decently balanced brew. I can see why conical hand cranks were favored for chunky press pot grinds in the past and to some extent in the present.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by FotonDrv »

Why not get a Voodoodaddy Mod? The removable can works great.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

opother

#13: Post by opother »

I am still using my old version Pharos with plastic sleeves as well as coarse adjustment threading, with hex key lock nut, for both espresso (until I get my Versalab repaired can't beat that hybrid burr set with the grounds dispersion system but thats another story) and cold brew (on an outlandishly coarse setting.) For espresso it's not bad at all and keeps me in practice, for cold brew I think it rocks (pun intended.) I still spank it to get the grinds out. It has proven it's value over and over again. I am glad to have it for a back up espresso grinder and all around general use and portable/travel grinder.

I would get the new part and perform the minor fitting.

rbkool

#14: Post by rbkool »

I didn't really want to start a new thread, so this seems like the right place to insert my minor mod to my Pharos #118. I upgraded to the new upper/bolt covers/funnel once they were available, which greatly helped with alignment. I don't mind the hand grinding, but with a bigger group it makes for a tedious work flow. I thought the ability to use some form of motorization would be handy for these occasions, but I did not want to do any major mods (there are some pretty resourceful members who have done extensive mods like HERE and HERE but I wanted something much less involved/permanent)

I'm pretty sure I'm not the first to come up with this idea of "simple" motorization (in fact I know I saw a picture of it online, possibly on this site, before), but it is a pretty easy solution:

I simply replaced the grind handle with a 15mm socket LINK HERE, which then interfaces with a 3/8" driver socket adapter LINK HERE in my household drill.

I find that my 20v Dewalt has more than enough torque with the gear switch in the "low speed/high torque" setting, and spins slow enough to create a grind that is indistinguishable from hand-ground.

Here are a couple close-ups of the 15mm socket, which was the perfect size to basically press-fit over the existing aluminum screw-cap on the top of the Pharos:

When I want to go back to hand grind, I un-thread the aluminum screw-cap and replace with the handle - Easy!