Mahlkonig K30 Vario dose time less than 1.0sec?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
F1

#1: Post by F1 »

I got a K30 Vario a few days ago. The dose time can be adjusted from a minimum of 1.0sec to a maximum of 10.0sec in 0.1sec increments. I think I remember seeing a video where the dose was adjusted to 0.7sec. It is a new K30 that I bought from Chris Coffee. Is there something special that I need to do? Thx in advance.

Bob_McBob

#2: Post by Bob_McBob »

They removed the ability to select a grind time under 1.0 seconds in a software update in 2014. The only way to grind for less time is by momentarily pressing the portafilter switch.
Chris

F1 (original poster)

#3: Post by F1 (original poster) »

Thx for the reply. I wonder what was the reason for their decision. Great grinder though.

Apogee

#4: Post by Apogee »

I clear the shoot with a 1.0 second purge after every single shot. It's an investment in great espresso. Move on. They did it to minimize wear and tear on the motor from OCD home baristas tapping the buttons to dose within .1g. (Doesn't matter less than .5g, if you adjust yield to equalize brew ratio and extraction %)

The K30 is amazing and an incredible value. Easy 1.5% extraction gain.

brianl

#5: Post by brianl »

Apogee wrote: Easy 1.5% extraction gain.
Let's not go crazy saying this is better than any other large flat.

Apogee

#6: Post by Apogee »

Nope. Not in any way saying that sir.

I'm saying over my PoS Racilio Rocky I got 1.5% and significantly narrower extraction bell curve. Each persons refractometry path to good espresso is different.

I recommend big flats that you love using so you make more fruit. And spend more on the grinder than the machine.