Rancilio Rocky Mod

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
maximoe

#1: Post by maximoe »

So I got sick and tired of having grounds go everywhere each time I used my Rocky and decided to do something about it.

The shallow divot in the existing tray just wasn't doing it for me. I decided that I needed a proper groundskeeper.
Cue my trip to Solidworks to whip up a design that would look as factory as possible.

Here is the model of the new setup:

Above you can see a deep pocket for grounds to drop into covered by a removable tray. Lucky me I have a 3D Printer.
Here is the lever that will actuate the switch to grind, as it will be covered by the tray when it is installed:

Below is the new printed tray attached to the grinder:

I'm happy with how it fits, but may need to get some sanding in to suit the paint job on the grinder so that it doesn't look out of place.

And the hole where the actuating lever goes:

Will update when I have the lever in place and operating.

rizodcat

#2: Post by rizodcat »

Nice!They do make a mess. clever!

maximoe (original poster)

#3: Post by maximoe (original poster) »

Got the whole thing mounted and working, here is a video of the mod in action:
The actuator for the grind button took a little carving in order to get it working right, I forgot to take account for the rocker switch hitting it when fully depressed.

ChiRho

#4: Post by ChiRho »

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Bill33525 »

Another nice mod would be a magnetically attached spout so it could be snapped off and the grinds brushed out.

bettysnephew

#6: Post by bettysnephew »

Is the honeycomb hex an insert or did you do a redesign from the first pictures?
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

#7: Post by maximoe (original poster) »

bettysnephew wrote:Is the honeycomb hex an insert or did you do a redesign from the first pictures?
Yes, its a very tight fitting insert, will likely print another with a bit more clearance.
Bill33525 wrote:Another nice mod would be a magnetically attached spout so it could be snapped off and the grinds brushed out.
I like the way you think... Standby for added mods!

#8: Post by maximoe (original poster) »

New update to anyone following this, I have uploaded the files for it here:

https://pinshape.com/items/24053-3d-pri ... catch-tray

This model is an upgrade from the original with a better actuator and alignment pins that won't snap off if you look at them the wrong way.

Vakse Viggo

#9: Post by Vakse Viggo »

Nice job! Where did the honeycomb idea come from?....Flashkill on a Sniper Scope? :)

#10: Post by maximoe (original poster) replying to Vakse Viggo »

Haha thanks! It's just the first thing I thought of I guess, could really do anything to the shape of the pattern.