Kitchen design with espresso area - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
redbone (original poster)

#11: Post by redbone (original poster) »

Dana, Henry & Robert.

Great food for thought. Making a short list of must haves. Thanks for the pictures, design, flow and technical considerations.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

sprint jinx

#12: Post by sprint jinx »

I built a small custom espresso station and thinking back on it, if I were to address the issue again, these things are what I would be thinking about-
- the ergonomics of the use of the space, in particular to the routine of prepping, making and cleaning up after coffee. The placement of the elements of water, trash, beans, machine, grinder, sink, cups, towels and wiping down are critical to enhancing the setup. I now wish I swapped the sink and the machine because I am left handed and it would be easier for me. Accessories and storage of them are also important.
- Do leave space around the machine and grinder to slide them enough for cleaning under and around.
- Any lips, seams, joints and corners in the setup will get messy over time- think of how you could do a wipe down of all of it efficiently and completely. Undermount sinks make more sense here than a drop in unit.
Use the right materials that meet the needs... employ them for the right job, and enjoy the logical reasoning behind those choices.
Given that other folks have addressed the more obvious needs of electricity, plumbing, lighting and presentation, the rest of the setup is yours to make it what you prefer. I'd be mocking it up to ensure I wasn't focking it up. That might mean making elevation drawings of the space, or perhaps a 3/4 perspective to get a view on how the elements are cooperating. Leave room to grow too!

keno

#13: Post by keno »

Here's a pic of my espresso bar that I designed when building a new house a few years ago. It's just a smidge under 5 ft wide and has a small bar sink. It's on the opposite side of the kitchen from the range, oven, and fridge with an island countertop in between. There are some stools at the island closest to the espresso bar which is great when entertaining. I also had the builder put the wall cabinets up high - they are 26" above the countertop which gives me enough room for whatever equipment I want to use. I have a decent amount of cabinet space above and below for coffee related items (pourover equipment, cups, hand grinders, green beans, etc). The only thing I sometimes feel is lacking is a small fridge for milk, but that's only an issue when making lots of milk-based drinks.

LaCrema

#14: Post by LaCrema »

keno wrote:Here's a pic of my espresso bar that I designed when building a new house a few years ago. It's just a smidge under 5 ft wide and has a small bar sink. It's on the opposite side of the kitchen from the range, oven, and fridge with an island countertop in between. There are some stools at the island closest to the espresso bar which is great when entertaining. I also had the builder put the wall cabinets up high - they are 26" above the countertop which gives me enough room for whatever equipment I want to use. I have a decent amount of cabinet space above and below for coffee related items (pourover equipment, cups, hand grinders, green beans, etc). The only thing I sometimes feel is lacking is a small fridge for milk, but that's only an issue when making lots of milk-based drinks.
That gave me some great ideas for the setup I plan to incorporate into my house in the coming months. Nice setup!
"Outside the box Barista."

redbone (original poster)

#15: Post by redbone (original poster) »

I was thinking of either eliminating or having a high shelf above the machine and grinder. As a lever user I like to have plenty of room above the machine without feeling impeded.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549