Sunergos Coffee in Louisville and Ryan Soeder

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Lacoffee

#1: Post by Lacoffee »

Was in Louisville visiting family and needed a decent espresso. Yelped around and found sunergos where we were headed. Walked in, noticed the three spanking new Peaks and the older compak f8?'s relegated to off duty sitting and an ek43. And it's a tiny space in downtown. Not even standing room really. Not too busy at the time so I asked the cashier about their beans and what happened to their compaks and whether they ever pulled shots with the ek43. He was pretty short about it (hey maybe he was having an off day?) and basically said they don't use he ek43 for spro and the compaks were sh** in his opinion and the peaks are the best thing on the market hands down. Ok ok well we are all entitled to our opinions I guess so whatever. I ordered the Mexican Chiapas in cortados and kept wondering to myself why this guy was so curt and slightly pretentious, and why he looked so familiar. The coffee was excellent. No qualms there. Nuanced,fruity, and funky in a good way. A real surprise frankly as I was expecting the Louisville scene to be the same old "better luck next year" varietals I had experienced there in the past.

Anyway then I went home and was trying to think where I knew that guy from? LA? Intelli? Portlandia (hoop lobe rings)? And then I remembered the howcast latte art videos! And that was it. Ryan Soeder barista champion.

For whatever it is worth I am glad Louisville has some coffee cred and the stuff I had there was excellent. As for the attitude, I'll chalk it up to too much barista hustle and give it another go next time I visit.
Andrew

johnny4lsu

#2: Post by johnny4lsu »

I went earlier this year. Medicore experience. Coffee was meh. Service wasn't bad.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#3: Post by jbviau »

Thanks for the report. Quills is worth checking out there also, I've heard.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Lacoffee (original poster)

#4: Post by Lacoffee (original poster) »

Yeah my compatriots were put off by the lack of any seating whatsoever. But I get it being downtown. I guess they have other locations around the city but we did not make it to those. Quills will be on the list next time for sure.
Andrew