Upgrading to HX or double boiler espresso machine, budget $1000 CAD - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Alaskah0rizon (original poster)

#11: Post by Alaskah0rizon (original poster) »

Thanks a lot guys.

I understand that if I were in the US, buying a new machine would make much more sense. However, since I am located in an area where sticker shock in usually nothing short of soul-crushing, buying used really does seem to be my best bet. I also know a few guys who are well-versed in espresso machine maintenance and repair, so I doubt that the amount of work I'd have to put into it would negate the cost-benefit advantage of used machines for my area.

After much (much) research, it now seems to me that very few HX/E61 machines really stick out as being the better buy. Instead, most seem to have the same capabilities, ergonomy, and price tag. Is that correct? On that front, the Reneka Amici/Bezzera Galatea Domus seems to have a bit of an edge design and construction-wise, but not by much. Would this mean that it could be a worthy buy if I could negotiate it down to, say, 850-900$?

Also, there is also a couple of La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 V1s for sale locally (one being a Mini). Are these worth buying at 1k$? From what I can read, these are generally held to be top-tier prosumer machines, albeit with some disliking their bulky nature and non-standard 53mm portafilters... I must also say that the timelessness of the E61 design and shiny SS exterior tend to lead me towards the Reneka, but I could probably get over these rather insignificant things for better brewing/steam capabilities.

So, basically, between the Amici/Galatea Domus and the Vivaldi S1 V1, which one would you say is the better buy for around 1K$ CAD?

Thanks again guys, reading you is always most helpful.
-J

canuckcoffeeguy

#12: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Hi fellow Canuck! I think you have three choices:

1) Wait and save to increase your budget. Then pull the trigger later when you have enough money.

2) Hope/wait for a good used machine locally

3) Increase your budget NOW and take advantage of good deals like this!
http://www.idrinkcoffee.com/Bezzera_Mag ... ag-b15.htm
As compared to the much higher U.S. price here:
http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/Bezzer ... -p6464.htm

This is a massive savings compared to U.S. prices. I haven't seen the Magica priced that low in Canada for two years. And I think it's a short lived sale, perhaps only lasting for today. Great deal, but a lot more than your stated budget. Good luck!