Damaged La Pavoni - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
MooseJaw (original poster)

#21: Post by MooseJaw (original poster) »

UPDATE: I got refunded the money and get to keep the machine.

What's next? Besides replace the group, what else would help improve the machine or just make it flat out cooler? I was thinking get a new base and completely tear down and clean it. Any suggestions?

drgary
Team HB

#22: Post by drgary »

Good deal! Try to fix the group. It doesn't look that hard.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

nuanced

#23: Post by nuanced »

base looks very good shape and paint ; upgrade the LP with a pressure gauge and adaptor from WILY CAFE

LaCrema

#24: Post by LaCrema »

Speaking from experience, if you ever buy an espresso machine off eBay make sure they go overboard and use a "double walled box" with a lot of packing material to isolate the machine from damage. I purchased a LaCimbali junior off eBay, the shipper boxed it in a heavy single walled box with lots of newspaper, UPS launched it off one of their conveyors and took absolutely no responsibility for their actions. The frame of the espresso machine was smashed down with so much force that it crumpled in several areas and cracked and broke up the plastic feet of the machine! I filed an inquiry with PayPal since I wasted too much time waiting for UPS to respond to my claim (it was past eBay's allotted time to file a claim) but luckily PayPal reversed the cost of the machine from the seller's account and I was able to keep the machine. This senecio also happened with another machine from a different manufacturer that I purchased off eBay. I specifically told the seller not only to use a double walled box, but to use the rigid foam insulation from Owens Corning to make tight chambers to fit the machine in, making a separate compartment for anything that could come loose during shipping, bubble wrap the portafilters and pack the inside of the machine with tons of newspaper to protect from vibration and possible leaks. Five days later the machine showed up, I took pictures of the box on all sides even before opening it up and through the complete unpacking process. The front plastic panels were cracked up, the pressure stat in the machine was somehow twisted and bent over to one side? Crazy weird damage to the machine by UPS, they responded quicker but denied my claim because the genius seller used a box that was single walled and rated for just under the total weight of the machine (package). I ended up getting the machine for next to nothing, but now I have another machine that will take hundreds of dollars to bring back to acceptable condition. My words of advice; make sure to tell any shipper to go overboard with the packing, a little extra cost in packing materials will actually save money by avoiding damage claims in the long run if anything happens during shipping! Crate or double walled boxes for any espresso machines is strongly recommended!!! From my experience I'm using Fed-Ex in the future rather than UPS for shipping anything of value, my commercial lever machine that was sent from Italy arrived on time with absolutely no damage to the box thanks to Fed-Ex!
"Outside the box Barista."

drgary
Team HB

#25: Post by drgary »

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

OldNuc

#26: Post by OldNuc »

FedEx is better but not perfect. The best approach is when you see something you would like to own that will not survived being launched off of the USS Enterprise with the launch catapult into a concrete wall then contact the seller and get agreement on the packing specifications and any additional cost BEFORE bidding and winning the auction.

There is another option though that works. Ship with USPS Registered Mail.