Barista milk

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
LarryJ

#1: Post by LarryJ »

Anyone ever hear of it? My last two visits to San Francisco coffee houses I saw it being used. Sorry about lousy photo.

RioCruz

#2: Post by RioCruz »

LarryJ wrote:Anyone ever hear of it?
Yep. It's just the Straus Dairy farm organic milk that has been slightly homogenized.

They are located up north a ways from San Francisco on the coast of Tomales bay. They make good stuff and I like that you can get their milk in glass bottles. Reminds me of my childhood when the milkman delivered big glass bottles of milk to our doorstep. :)
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

Advertisement
LarryJ (original poster)

#3: Post by LarryJ (original poster) »

Cool! Thanks for the response.
Cafe Tartine even let me have a sample and it tasted like....real milk from
back in the day. Had a slightly sweet finish. They said there are much less air bubbles
when frothing with it. Hope I can track it down here in So. Cal.

chipman

#4: Post by chipman »

They don't sell it to the general public. I tried ordering it from a grocery chain that carried their regular line. They couldn't get it. If you find it for sale let us know. In the mean time,. there is organic Clover and Horizon whole milk that are both very good.

DanoM

#5: Post by DanoM »

LarryJ wrote:Cool! Thanks for the response.
Cafe Tartine even let me have a sample and it tasted like....real milk from
back in the day. Had a slightly sweet finish. They said there are much less air bubbles
when frothing with it. Hope I can track it down here in So. Cal.
Sometimes a cafe will let you buy a jug if you're good friends. I've been offered that before.

There are some decent alternatives around. Personally, when I lived in Glendale I preferred Trader Joe's Whole Milk as it was rich and sweet. Horizon and Clover are also great milks.
LMWDP #445

peter_x

#6: Post by peter_x »

All brands mentioned here are good. I try to buy as much of my milk as possible from a farm that is the only place on Long Island that sells unpasteurized milk. It just means you have to go through a bottle a little faster than usual so it doesn't go bad. You also have to shake it if it sits for a while because it seperates.

LarryJ (original poster)

#7: Post by LarryJ (original poster) »

Thanks to all for your replys. Over the years, I have tried using low fat milk and found it just didn't
froth as well. It always seemed too "thin". I only use milk to steam my morning cap, so
having a great whole milk is an important component for me. I have been using TJ's and it seems o.k.
I'll check out Horizon and Clover just to change it up.

Advertisement
spressomon

#8: Post by spressomon »

FWIW we get Strauss Organic non-homogenized milk here in Reno (glass) and it is wonderful for smooth microfoam. And tasty too. Use it everyday.
No Espresso = Depresso

Marshall

#9: Post by Marshall »

The Straus Barista Milk was developed with a panel of Bay Area baristas to maximize flavor and frothing quality. As others have noted, Straus will not sell it to consumers (Lord knows, I've asked). Here is the story in a presentation from the 2014 SCAA Symposium. The Barista Milk segment starts at 12:00, but you will learn a lot about milk by watching the whole video.
Marshall
Los Angeles