Lowering water debit on E61 - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
desmodici (original poster)

#11: Post by desmodici (original poster) »

Good question. Before the mod I was over 400ml/30sec (I believe approx 425-450 if I remember correctly)
Post mod I am at approx 245ml/30 sec
F1 wrote:What flow were you getting before the mod? What flow are you getting now? What size was the sucket you used to remove the gicleur?

My Giotto PPV2 with vibe pump is more forgiving than my Profitec 700 with rotary pump. The Giotto's water debit is significantly less than the Profitec 700. Hopefully installing the 0.5mm gicleur in the Profitec will yield similar results.

lakesidecoffee

#12: Post by lakesidecoffee »

That's a great mod. Just ordered the smaller gicleur for my Rocket R58 E61 Group.

Lower water debit in combination with lower brew pressure is possibly a very interesting thing to try.
TheCastanza wrote:Is there any reason not to do this mod? E.g. Possible damage to the machine or lowering "in the cup" potential (to gain "forgiveness")?
A gicleur with a smaller diameter can be affected (i.e. obstructed) faster by scale deposits. Can't think of any other possibly harmful consequences.

UPDATE:
Water debit w/ 0.5 mm Gicleur: 190 ml/30 s (w/ 0.75 mm Gicleur 350-400 ml/30 s). First results promising, but have to pull some more shots to comment on taste.
twitter: @lakeside_coffee

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by pizzaman383 »

I know that I'm late to this thread but I just got around to checking the water debit on my vibe pump VBM DD. I'd been using my lever and had to set up my VBM to do a flow rate test.

A couple of years ago I swapped out the Ulka pump for a Fluid-O-Tech vibe pump. I kept the stock gicleur but I did route the output of the OPV through a check valve back to the pump's input. I picked the FOT pump because it's pump chart showed that its peak flow was lower than the Ulka. This substantially reduced the maximum flow rate and I'm getting about 200ml in 30 seconds with an open group. The shots flow slower even at 9 bar pressure. I found that the machine was more forgiving and the shots were better with fewer sink shots.

Just to give myself the ultimate flexibility I also put a dimmer on the pump. That let me do some pressure profiling but I didn't stick with it. Leaving the dimmer all the way open makes it work just as if it wasn't there. That's the way it stays these days.

Here's a chart showing the difference between the pumps' flow rates.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”