Need advice on a new scale - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jchung

#11: Post by jchung »

GreatDane wrote:Thanks for the recommendation. I got my scale yesterday and shots have improved dramatically this morning. I am pulling a fussy S.O. Sumatran this morning. I got a nice mouse tail and great crema. The shot was complex earthy with just a touch of fruitiness. Just the way I like it.

Les
Thats awesome! I'm glad its working well for you!

Fluffeepuff

#12: Post by Fluffeepuff »

GreatDane wrote:I was so spoiled playing around at Clive coffee in Portland using their new grinders with built in scales. I have been dosing by volume, but when I got home I broke out my old Saltzer scale and saw an improvement in consistency. However, it died! I really can't justify a new grinder right now. My La Cimbali is an excellent grinder. There are many things I don't like about it. However, I am not talking about my grinder right now.

I am looking for a good scale that I can tare with my PF basket to measure the weight of my dose. Any recommendations? I would like it to measure down to a tenth of a gram.

Les
Les - coming in on this late, but what kind of grinders with a built in scale was Clive using?

GreatDane (original poster)

#13: Post by GreatDane (original poster) replying to Fluffeepuff »

The main grinder we were using was the Baratza Forte. We also used a Peak Single Espresso grinder by Mahlkonig. To be real honest, I wish I had been paying more attention to the grinders. I was there to demonstrate my product. (I hope I can say that without getting into trouble with Dan.) Having access to their back room was like being a kid turned loose in a toy store! That said, getting a good scale has solved several of my problems with my grinder (La Cimbali Max Hybrid). I made a single dose hopper for it and that has made a big difference. My next project is to get rid of the doser and make it doserless. It does produce an excellent grind and that is what it is really all about. It is nice to see the advances over the last 8 years.

Les
LMWDP #079

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by FotonDrv »

GreatDane wrote:Thanks for the lessons in weighing! I continue to be amazed at all that can be learned on this forum.

Les
+1
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train