My Cold Brew Experience - Filtron - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Unrooted

#11: Post by Unrooted »

Every cold brew I've tasted was the same, unless it was stale. I tried making it myself because I bought a Ln of medium roasted coffee that ended up being dark, I just used a Tupperware, put the coffee in, filled with cold water until there was no headspace and put the lid on, put it in my fridge overnight, then I used my chemex to filter the coffee through, then I put the coffee in small canning jars with no headspace. Any oxygen will destroy the coffee fast. An easy way to get rid of "bad" coffee and still be able to drink it.

I think I may have used the coffee grounds twice...

I've read that if you want a more nuanced flavor then you should "bloom" the coffee with hot water, haven't tried it though, mostly because now that I roast I rarely have crappy coffee around!

FYI: I roast with a modified $10 bread machine from the thrift store, a $30 heatgun from Amazon and a $60 thermoprobe from heatsnob...from what I've tasted it's the best value roaster out there, I roast 320 gram batches at a time with consistent results. I place the heatgun in an electric stovetop drip tray with a few holes drilled into it, and a fan blowing into the holes. I wouldn't even consider a roaster that couldn't do at least 1000gram batches now.

Here is a late night session picture of my setup. I also use a bucket, colander and a shop vac for cooling.