Rocket R58 V2 vs Profitec Pro 700 - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
F1

#11: Post by F1 »

givemeespressofirst wrote:Pretty shady that SCG wouldn't even disclose that they don't sell Profitec machines in their reply to you.
In the past I have had very bad customer service from Seattle Coffee Gear. Four years ago when I bought my very first espresso machine (Rocket Giotto) from them I called them due to a problem. The lady that answer the phone completely changed her tone the moment I told her I was having problems with my machine's brewing temperature. She went from nice to very rude in the blink of an eye. I was telling her that my machine was only brewing no hotter than 185F. She told me 185F is completely normal and that only commercial machines were capable of brewing at 200F. Anybody in this forum knows that statement is complete BS. When I asked her to please transfer me to a technician she started saying that the technician would tell me the same thing. It felt like a hostage situation just trying to get a hold of a technician.

zimberto

#12: Post by zimberto »

SCG poisoned my dog and burned my house to the ground. Beat that!

F1

#13: Post by F1 replying to zimberto »

Awesome.

Shife

#14: Post by Shife »

zimberto wrote:SCG poisoned my dog and burned my house to the ground. Beat that!
SCG and WLL are the "Home Depot" of the specialty coffee world. Maybe you'll find that one guy who knows their product, but more than likely you'll get a clueless dolt who was hired three weeks ago and is now a plumbing "expert" dispensing advice on outdoor power equipment over in Aisle 12.

I get that you like to defend your brands, but reality is what it is.

zimberto

#15: Post by zimberto »

I didn't mean to defend anything in particular... other than the concept of fair play. There are several SCG stores near me and the most I ever spent in one was $25 for a knock box, so I have no special affinity for them. However, just because they try to push the machines they sell they shouldn't be considered a terrible vendor, and neither should it be an excuse to jump in with age-old complaints with essentially no relevance to the original question.

So if SCG and WLL are the "Home Depot" of the specialty coffee world... who is in the next tier up? From my limited experience I'd say that Chris Coffee may be as good as it gets in the USA and online, but we're still looking at "Home Depot".

Tanax

#16: Post by Tanax »

zimberto wrote:I think for a seller to say "I believe the <Brand X> machines are the best built machines and for this reason we offer them above others" is hardly shady - it's what I would expect anyone to who is in business and wants to stay in business would say.

BTW, I think the OP must have given up on coffee machines since he hasn't replied. He's probably now down at his local Mercedes dealer asking them what they think of BMW's. We can then expect him to be posting to the car forums about being confused by the answer he gets. "They said Mercedes are the best built cars... but the BMW dealer said that BMW are the best. I am soooo confused!".
Hardly the same. BMW dealers obviously only deals with BMW, just as Mercedes dealers only deals with Mercedes.
As far as I know, SCG is not a "Rocket dealer", are they?!

In any way, my point in my first post was that it's better to ask those coffee shops that actually has experience with BOTH brands you're interested in, hence SCG is not a good place to ask for help regarding the OP's question!

HB
Admin

#17: Post by HB »

zimberto wrote:However, just because they try to push the machines they sell they shouldn't be considered a terrible vendor, and neither should it be an excuse to jump in with age-old complaints with essentially no relevance to the original question.
Agreed. Members are welcome to share their experiences good or bad with vendors -- as long as (a) it's relevant and (b) it doesn't degenerate into the six steps of the Public complaints about customer service documented in the site's Guidelines for productive online discussion.
Tanax wrote:In any way, my point in my first post was that it's better to ask those coffee shops that actually has experience with BOTH brands you're interested in...
Thanks for your attempt to get the discussion back on topic. Reviewing the first post, Jay's question is really about buying advice from forum members:
themeishere wrote:In the end, I want to know which machine is the most durable, will last me the longest, and of course serve me the best coffee. I mostly make lattes and cappuccinos (so steam quality is important). (I am already set with grinders as I have a mazzer mini)
Dan Kehn

Dooglas

#18: Post by Dooglas »

I think that comments about most machines in this class being quite capable is pretty much on the mark. We are mostly getting into the area of personal preferences where there is no wrong answer. Two other comments. 1 - If I lived in NY, I would certainly not be writing to SCG or WLL. I would be going to Chris's Coffee for a discussion and some demos. 2 - a Mazzer mini is probably not the equivalent in quality/capability to the espresso machines you are considering. In this day and age, there are much better grinders out there.

JavaRanger

#19: Post by JavaRanger »

I have a Pro 700 and love it, and owed it for all most a year and a half. I liked that it had SS boilers, and lack of branding like the R on the knob. Built in shot timer is also very nice.

I would buy it again. In that price range if i was looking now I might add the SS Alex Dulleto. I dont think its as nice looking as the pro 700.

New ECM looks nice too, and you might have one of the first ones... That has its pro's and cons.

My advice pick the one you think looks the nicest then they are all great machines.

zimberto

#20: Post by zimberto »

Dooglas wrote:I think that comments about most machines in this class being quite capable is pretty much on the mark. We are mostly getting into the area of personal preferences where there is no wrong answer. Two other comments. 1 - If I lived in NY, I would certainly not be writing to SCG or WLL. I would be going to Chris's Coffee for a discussion and some demos. 2 - a Mazzer mini is probably not the equivalent in quality/capability to the espresso machines you are considering. In this day and age, there are much better grinders out there.
I'd be interested in what your suggestion for a grinder would be. Budget is key, and in the $600 bracket I don't think there are many grinders that are "much better" than the Mazzer Mini on grind quality. I think you'd need to add another $400 to get something noticeably better. I got my Mini E from Chris Coffee earlier this year for about $800 and I'm quite happy with it, but if I had to do it again I'd probably add a couple of hundred bucks and go for something different... although I'm not sure what.