Proper rest time for Vivace Dolce

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Kipp

#1: Post by Kipp »

IMAWriter wrote:PTI.
Being VERY familiar with Dolce, it needs (IMO) 8 days post roast for it to be right.
I've have Dolce delivered every week for the last 18+ years. It arrives at my house 2 days old. Schomer pulls at his shops and recommends using from 3-10 days old. I agree. I feel the magic is fading on day 10 and then start the next day with the new batch.

dominico
Team HB

#2: Post by dominico »

Kipp wrote:I feel the magic is fading on day 10 and then start the next day with the new batch.
If by "the magic" you mean the massive portafilter sneeze I get after pulling this stuff on a lever, due to it still heavily degassing after 7 days, then I agree! :D
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

Advertisement
Kipp (original poster)

#3: Post by Kipp (original poster) replying to dominico »

Sounds like Dolce is allergic to your lever :wink:

IMAWriter

#4: Post by IMAWriter »

dominico wrote:If by "the magic" you mean the massive portafilter sneeze I get after pulling this stuff on a lever, due to it still heavily degassing after 7 days, then I agree! :D
I have to go with this. No way Dolce works for me at 3 days. Seems like in this case, YMMV is appropriate. :D

Kipp (original poster)

#5: Post by Kipp (original poster) »

Well way off topic, sorry. Split topic?

I have been looking for a small machine to take on the road for work trips and was planning on a Olympia Maximatic or Cremina. I've owned both way back 16+ years ago.

I find it very interesting that you guys are having issues pulling super fresh Dolce beans on a lever.

Leads me to think I should get a Maximatic and a pair it Monolith flat. I love the compact size and the news it will come with Mythos Ti burrs now.

3 day old beans are pouring like a dream on my Linea Mini as long as follow Schomer's Super Ristricted Ristretto recipe or my modified version.

Schomer's current recipe:
Beans 3-10 days old
9 bar at 203 F
20g in Synesso triple basket
30lb tamp
27 secs
3/4 fluid oz. by volume out

My current modified recipe: for CAD style ristrettos
Beans 3-9 days old
Low Pressure - straight 6 bar on Linea,
Low Flow-250ml/30secs
Mythos 1 Clima Pro grinder -grounds exit at 35C/95F
Lower dose 18g in 18g VST/Strada basket
Lower temp-196F
Lighter 10kg/22lb tamp
27 secs
12g by weight out! Yeah, no a typo. Just enough to completely coat your tongue.

The shots taste like the finest, most complex, melted Belgium chocolate infused with the most fragrant coffee essence you can imagine.

dominico
Team HB

#6: Post by dominico »

I wouldn't say it's really an issue so much as you have to be prepared to deal with a bunch of residual pressure still in the brew chamber when you go to pull the portafilter. Do it carefully...

Other than that I thought it tasted best after a at least a week's rest.

Kipp (original poster)

#7: Post by Kipp (original poster) »

When was the last time you had Dolce?

Advertisement
dominico
Team HB

#8: Post by dominico »

It's been a while, about 9 months ago.

dominico
Team HB

#9: Post by dominico »

This thread split off from KafaTek Monolith 68mm conical single-doser

A side discussion about the rest time needed for Vivace Dolce sprouted which had nothing to do with the Monolith grinder, so I moved it here, leaving the original post in the Monolith thread for continuity.
shawndo wrote:Denis told me he tests with Dolce pulled ristretto particularly because it is difficult to get a decent yield from that.
IMAWriter wrote:
PTI.
Being VERY familiar with Dolce, it needs (IMO) 8 days post roast for it to be right.

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by pizzaman383 »

dominico wrote:Other than that I thought it tasted best after a at least a week's rest.
I have also found this to be true. I think it is more noticeable from vivace than many other blends.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”