Expobar double filter basket and Reg Barber tamper base

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
kwongheng

#1: Post by kwongheng »

Hi all,

I am trying to get a RB tamper for my 58mm Expobar double basket filter. However, the bases listed online seems to go from 58.0 mm to 58.9 mm.

Could anyone advise which exact dimension tamper base size would best fit the Expobar 58 mm double basket filter?

Thanks very much
Kelvin Wong

Kellyk

#2: Post by Kellyk »

My 58.4 fit my Expobar basket fine.

FirstBetta

#3: Post by FirstBetta »

If you are going to the extent of sizing the tamper to the basket, recommendations from others will NOT do the job, fabrication tolerances for sheet metal are too wide to do the job especially if the method is spinning, which could very well be the case here.

Get ahold of an adequate caliper (<$12 at Amazon). Google Scott Rao (his book is a treasure trove of data but very expensive) and get his recommendation for size. Order from Reg Barber.

If that doesn't work, IIRC, he recommends a tamper 0.5 mm smaller than the basket ID. You might also check with Schomer for size.

In my short experience, the size of the tamper doesn't affect the taste but does affect the cleanup since it will reduce the thin layer of grind up the internal side of the basket.

kwongheng (original poster)

#4: Post by kwongheng (original poster) »

Thanks all for the reply