How to prepare an espresso machine for a move and possible ~1-2 week storage

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
givemeespressofirst

#1: Post by givemeespressofirst »

I am moving and have a Bezzera BZ-10. What is the best/safest way to prepare this to be moved? I have the original boxes and packing. However, how do I deal with the water that is kept inside the machine? Is there a safe way to drain it? Or, is this such a short duration that I shouldn't worry about it? Will it be ok getting splashed around inside of the machine as it bounces down the road in the moving truck?

Sorry if this is addressed elsewhere. I did a quick look and couldn't find anything specifically addressing this question. Thanks.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Search on "storage espresso machine" to find threads like Preparing an espresso machine for storage and Espresso Machine Winter Storage and Draining an HX boiler for storage and shipping.

If your espressso machine is being moved (not shipped), emptying the reservoir is enough. If you think it will be jostled a lot, you could partially drain the steam boiler by bringing it up to pressure, turning it off, then drain as much as you can with steam pressure via the water wand.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
Headala

#3: Post by Headala »

1-2 weeks is not very long; I wouldn't worry about it. Like Dan said, make sure you empty the res, and of course the drip tray. As long as there's no danger of it freezing I think it will be fine.

brianl

#4: Post by brianl »

I just moved and I didn't bother with boxing or anything. I just handled it by hand personally and would only drain the boiler if it's too heavy.

givemeespressofirst (original poster)

#5: Post by givemeespressofirst (original poster) »

Thank you. These replies were helpful.

HB, I found some threads on storage. Wasn't sure if anything special was needed for moving consideration. I have the original packaging which I plan on having it packed in.

Just to verify, the reservoir is where water is poured. That is easy to dump and dry out. And the boiler is where water is aspirated in from the reservoir? I can drain this by turning the machine on, getting up to temp, and then turning off and using the hot water tap or wand until nothing further drains?

I think I will also run some Cafiza through it before getting it ready to be packed. Thanks for the help.

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

givemeespressofirst wrote:Just to verify, the reservoir is where water is poured. And the boiler is where water is aspirated in from the reservoir? I can drain this by turning the machine on, getting up to temp, and then turning off and using the hot water tap or wand until nothing further drains?
Yes * 3.
Dan Kehn