Is the ECM Bottomless Portafilter Compatible with a Rocket?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
malekia

#1: Post by malekia »

Hi, I want to buy a bottomless portafilter for my Rocket Giotto Evoluzione V2.

The only place I know of that sells the Rocket bottomless portafilter (SCG) is out of stock on them.

Is the ECM one compatible?
Are the two companies related?
Why do bottomless portafilters often come with a triple shot basket?

Ali

adrian

#2: Post by adrian »

Hi Ali,
Fairly sure it should fit, as both are standard E61 groups. I don't have a Giotto, but I am very happy with my ECM Gran Crema bottomless portafilters.

The companies used to be sort of related at some point, but have since split. I'm not too familiar with the details, but the original factory is in Milan. A German company built their machines under license in Heidelberg. When they split, the Germans kept the name (ECM) and added "Manufacture" to it. The original ECM (http://www.ecm-espresso.it) still exists, and also still produces Giotto and Cellini body styles, just like Rocket.

As for your third question: I'm not sure. But I imagine that most machines come with two stock baskets (single and double), so it make sense for an accessory to add another size.

Cheers
Adrian

Nickriders

#3: Post by Nickriders »

It will work, as well as any e61 portafilter does. The only difference will be the handle.
As for the tripple basket, they include it because it does not fit standard portafilter(too deep). So for people who want to do tripple on e61, it's the only way to go.

Enjoy,
Nicolas