La Marzocco GS3 delay turning off steam

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
thepilgrimsdream

#1: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

Hi guys.

I have a GS3 with a "burn me" wand. I set the pressure between 1.5-2 bars depending if I am steaming milk for guests or not(12oz Lattes) :shock:

When I turn the steam knob off, it delays about a second or 2, releasing slightly wetter steam and then a few drips of water. This little delay throws off my microfoam quite a bit. I am used to Linea's, GB5's Strada's etc and am pretty confident in my steaming abilities.

Does anyone know what may be causing this?

Thanks

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by Peppersass »

Your steam valve needs servicing. This is a periodic maintenance item, usually required every 6-12 months.

Most likely, the lube has worn off the O-rings, causing the valve stem to move more slowly to the cutoff position. You might get away with just re-lubing the O-rings (Dow 111 is recommended), but if you're going to go through the trouble of removing and disassembling the valve, you might as well rebuild it in case the springs and/or O-rings have worn out.

You can get a rebuild kit from from Chris Coffee:

http://www.chriscoffee.com/GS3-Steam-Wa ... b1004k.htm

Even with a properly serviced valve, a small amount of steam will come out after you shut off the valve. It's what's left in the wand.