Chill Your Beans for Better Flavor? - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
IMAWriter

#11: Post by IMAWriter »

Kipp wrote:If you grind from frozen make sure you get all of the beans out of grinder before they condensate!
+1

That caveat (the condensation issue) is enough for me to forego this, at least for now. I'll just have to struggle along with the near g-shots I regularly get. :lol:

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by JohnB. »

I single dose beans right out of the freezer every day. No condensation issues, just great shots. By the way why do people panic about condensation on the freezer beans but have no problem with misting their room temp beans with water before grinding to reduce static?
LMWDP 267

jpender

#13: Post by jpender »

Maybe they haven't tried it?

Even if the coffee were only being warmed by the condensing moisture there isn't enough heat capacity to condense that much before the dew point is reached.

I once weighed beans straight from the freezer and they gained less than 0.05% weight sitting in open air.

jpender

#14: Post by jpender »

Isn't this the same paper that was discussed a while ago, the one co-authored by Matt Perger?

Bob_McBob

#15: Post by Bob_McBob »

"Co-authored" :roll:
Chris

jpender

#16: Post by jpender replying to Bob_McBob »

What, did I say something wrong?

IMAWriter

#17: Post by IMAWriter »

JohnB. wrote:I single dose beans right out of the freezer every day. No condensation issues, just great shots. By the way why do people panic about condensation on the freezer beans but have no problem with misting their room temp beans with water before grinding to reduce static?
I don't mist shots actually, probably as I don't single dose.

Kipp

#18: Post by Kipp »

JohnB. wrote:I single dose beans right out of the freezer every day. No condensation issues, just great shots. By the way why do people panic about condensation on the freezer beans but have no problem with misting their room temp beans with water before grinding to reduce static?
Single dosing frozen beans is fine.

Putting more than a single dose in the hopper and not grinding all of them through the grinder will, depending on the brand of grinder i.e.: Mazzer, leave you with rusty burrs.

Travisimo

#19: Post by Travisimo »

I saw one of my Daily Coffee News emails from Roast Magazine with a interesting
article titled:

Particle Consistency Best Achieved by Chilling Before Grinding, Research Suggests
http://dailycoffeenews.com/2016/06/14/p ... -suggests/

I know many HB's on both sides swear to either freeze or don't freeze the beans.
This article I wanted to share with the group nonetheless.

Happy brewing!

Cheers