Does this Mazzer Super Jolly sound healthy? Buyers remorse?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
DrCosta

#1: Post by DrCosta »

Hi everyone....I'm new to the forums but have lurked for quite some time... I could use your excellent advice about a super jolly I have picked up on the list!

Im not sure if they are supposed to be this loud when ran without beans.

Here is a video I was sent before...Does it sound normal?...or bad bearings or motor problems?

Appreciate any advice

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

It does sound a bit rough. Can we hear it with the upper burr removed. That will remove burr whirring sounds and give us a better idea.
Right now, from the sound of it, worst case is that it needs bearings which any electric motor shop should be able to do if you bring the motor in. But let's not panic just yet. There will be time for that later.. :wink:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

sweaner

#3: Post by sweaner »

That sounds just like one I bought cheap. I assume that it needs new bearings. What I did instead was use the burr carrier in my Mini.

FWIW, I did use it without issue for months even with the bad bearing. It was noisy but functioned just fine.
Scott
LMWDP #248

DrCosta (original poster)

#4: Post by DrCosta (original poster) »

Oof...bad bearings where what I was afraid of...I know it's tough to say, but roughly in your experiences what do you think the cost would be to have a shop repair it, parts and labor?

I'll post with the top burr removed when I get a chance to make a video tomorrow...maybe it just sounded bad because the hopper possibly enhanced the volume? The guy did say it hadn't been turned on in 5 years
..and just sat in his garage unboxed.

Also...if someone was to pay say....200 for a grinder in this condition...would you say he got ripped off? Asking for a friend!

cannonfodder
Team HB

#5: Post by cannonfodder »

Sounds like bearings. The grinder needs disassembled and cleaned from what I see. New it is near $700. Bearings are around $25 and you will need 2 as I recall. So $250 for a $700 grinder is not bad. May be a good idea to replace the burr set while you are at it. I factor in replacement burrs on any used grinder.
Dave Stephens

trumz

#6: Post by trumz »

I had a SJ with a bad top bearing. This is what it sounded like:
http://youtu.be/qED5-j9CAec

Top bearing is easy to replace on your own if you're handy. Bottom one would be abit trickier and you'd probably need a bearing puller. Use the search functions, there are a few threads on the subject.