Bezzera Strega spring over time -- should I worry?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
iCarumba

#1: Post by iCarumba »

I think I am quite sure to get the strega after long debates between pumps or lever... one thing that bothers me. Do i have to worry the spring loses tension overtime? Are there any circumstance that the spring will not perform as it used to in the beginning? I'm talking about long terms 5 or more years.

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

If the spring weakens they are easy and inexpensive to replace. Springs do weaken over time. Then it's a standard maintenance item like replacing gaskets.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

IMAWriter

#3: Post by IMAWriter »

iCarumba wrote:I think I am quite sure to get the strega after long debates between pumps or lever... one thing that bothers me. Do i have to worry the spring loses tension overtime? Are there any circumstance that the spring will not perform as it used to in the beginning? I'm talking about long terms 5 or more years.
My Strega is 3+ years old. I do not feel any perceptible difference. That said, I'd actually WELCOME a bit of "stretch" on the double spring to lessen the pressure a bit. :lol:

Unless you're planning to pull 20+ shots a day, I'd not worry. As DrG says, it's not an expensive replacement. However, it might be good to refer to a link as to how the replacement springs are installed. or just not worry for 4-5 years.

iCarumba (original poster)

#4: Post by iCarumba (original poster) »

I never noticed that spring replacement would be a regular maintenance. Seriously?

How often do you change your spring?

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

Look at any of the old restoration threads. It depends on spring strength, your usage patterns, your preference of flavor profile. Do you worry that you have to replace struts on a car after some time? I don't. It's standard maintenance.
Gary
LMWDP#308

nickw

#6: Post by nickw »

My machine was an early model, and I used it for for several years (after it being a demo) with no noticeable difference. A friend has it now, he still enjoys it daily. It's almost 5 years old now, and no notable difference.

They have a good service life and are quite affordable, and things considered.
So, no need to worry. Use it, enjoy it. :)

Marcelnl

#7: Post by Marcelnl »

A while ago I replaced the spring in my 60+ year old Faemina for a stainless steel one, the difference was minimal and IMO more due to the difgerences in material characteristics than spring aging.
To answer you question, no uou do not need to worry :wink:

(On a car ypu replace shock absorbers when thet are worn but rarely the spring coils.)
LMWDP #483

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

Marcelnl wrote:(On a car ypu replace shock absorbers when thet are worn but rarely the spring coils.)
Ah well, you've got a point there.

More realistically, I had an old Elektra Microcasa a Leva that needed a new spring. I replaced that, and it helped. But with a Strega you've got a much stronger spring created for commercial use, so it's likely to last longer.
Gary
LMWDP#308