Pavoni identification

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Eatshorts

#1: Post by Eatshorts »

Hi
Can anyone tell me when this is from, model name etc? Considering buying it, but would like to know parts availability or any problems it is likely to have.

Cheers!

CoffeeBeetle

#2: Post by CoffeeBeetle »

I believe that might be a Zacconi Riviera spring lever machine, possibly one made for another company. The group and dome are very much like the one i have, although that one is made in brass. If it's true that this is a Riviera machine then getting parts for it is definitely possible. It looks to be in very good condition so the main thing to worry about is probably going to be gaskets for the group. Luckily the group is very similar(perhaps identical) to a Ponte Vecchio group, making it even easier to get the gaskets.
I feel like i should sort of warn you on this machine though. While it's capable of making great espresso, it's not like the shots one can pull on a Pavoni machine. The shots from a Riviera are rather small and not very "syrupy", but if you can live with that then you will be getting some very flavorful and nuanced espresso.

Eatshorts (original poster)

#3: Post by Eatshorts (original poster) »

Thanks for the help, and the warning :)
Gloopy and thick shots are exactly what I'm looking for. The seller is claiming it is a La Pavoni. I couldn't find a matching picture.

It looks better then a Pavoni though. I will keep looking for a manual.

CoffeeBeetle

#4: Post by CoffeeBeetle »

I found that seller in Norway and the post selling that machine, it sounds like you are looking for something else but in case you reconsider i would give you another warning. The seller clearly doesn't know very much about the machine and says nothing about any quirks or problems it has. This could of course mean that it's running perfectly and the gaskets are all in good condition. However it's probably more likely that the seller is hoping that the buying won't ask too many questions.
I warn you because that has happened to me twice buying lever machines from owners who just wanted a simple and easy to use machine and not a hobby. The Riviera i bought needed a lot of new parts and i've spend many weeks waiting for one part, only to later have to buy another small part because another problem didn't become apparent before the first was solved.
I actually liked restoring this old machine and i didn't mind spending a lot of time and energy getting it working again and perhaps this machine just need a small cleaning and it's good to go. But if you buy an old lever from an owner that doesn't really know a lot about them, then you might risk that it won't work perfectly from day 1.