Variations in profile with same MET

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
jellybones

#1: Post by jellybones »

today I used my quest to roast a few batches of a kenyan that I just received from sweet maria's. I did three roasts back to back. the first was very close to what I was shooting for except that the ramp was a bit quick. I lowered my MET a bit during ramp and pretty much hit my target profile for roast 2. on roast 3, I tried to replicate my second roast with just a slightly quicker ramp. same airflow, same charge temp, same MET throughout the roast (except for being just a few degrees hotter during ramp). but for some reason, roast 3 had a far quicker drying time and an even slower ramp than roast 2. anybody able to help with this? pretty frustrated because it seems like I have almost no control over my profiles when things like this happen, which is semi-frequently.

roast 2:

roast 3:

9Sbeans

#2: Post by 9Sbeans »

Weird.

Did you charge the same bean mass? Did you adjust the airflow during the second roast and didn't set it back in the third roast?

How does the roast 3 taste? Eccentric acidity after cooling down?

doktor1909

#3: Post by doktor1909 »

Turning point temp. was higher in roast 3. So I suppose the roaster was not as good heated up in roast 2.

jellybones (original poster)

#4: Post by jellybones (original poster) »

same bean mass, yes. I'm letting the beans rest right now. it could feasibly be a great roast, really I'm just annoyed at the uncertainty of planning my profiles. doktor, that's a great point. maybe I just need to holding at 400 longer to allow the drum to cool back down between roasts.