Recommended profiles for Behmor 1600 plus

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Roasty1

#1: Post by Roasty1 »

Hello everyone

I have just got my first home roaster and a few different beans to experiment with.

Although I have tried P3 setting quite a lot with a few beans, the flavor does not really come through. When roasted on the default setting of P1 it turns out very good. The bean is Tanzania Tweega (pea berry) .

Also on another note I have some Hawaii Kona and have been told to roast on a slow setting i.e. P4. Could the Kona be roasted on P1? I just do not want to waste these beans as very hard to get in this part of the world.

In general just some advice on which profiles to use with which beans would be very helpful.

Thank you
Ghazi

AKucewicz

#2: Post by AKucewicz »

You definitely need to be delicate with the Kona. Kona is a low alitude coffee (a necessity for the climate) low alitude coffees generally are more fickle and require a lower max heat application. Higher altitude coffees (like your Tanzania or an Ethiopian) are hardier and require higher heats to get a proper flavor development.

Roasty1 (original poster)

#3: Post by Roasty1 (original poster) »

Thank you Andy. Thats what I thought. I was baking the beans for so many roasts on slower profiles thinking would get better flavor becasue heat is not intense.

Makes sense, so a P4 should work out fine. Would P5 be pushing it into too far of a gamble?

Thanks

AKucewicz

#4: Post by AKucewicz »

lots of variables at play. Depends on batch size, depends on bean origin. You need to pick a weight on work with it, take notes, make small adjustments. Personally, I bought a Behmor two months ago. I did a handful of roasts with the Behmor presets (1/4 and 1/2 lbs) now I've done a dozen roasts in manual mode and am now starting to figure that out (a lot of testing and note taking, but I think I'm close to a good profile of my own making).