What is this Campeona lever espresso on eBay? - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
pootoogoo

#21: Post by pootoogoo »

pootoogoo

#22: Post by pootoogoo »

Just to close the loop, if this can be of interest to anybody :roll: , the Jata model patent (number 94.630) was sold to Campeona S.A. in early 1963.

They continued to sell the lever under the name "Jata", with its brand new logo (updated the same year).

[1963 update of the 1941 Jata logo]

And to close the loop inside the loop, the Campeona patents mentioned above are the two (1959 and 1960) patents for the Bambina model. :wink:

doubleOsoul

#23: Post by doubleOsoul »

DucaiMann wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/282049907183

<image>

LOL, I wondered who the other 6 were watching this big headed baby.

donn

#24: Post by donn »

I don't really understand what "watching" does for people, but in this case I'd be sort of academically interested to find out if someone's going to pay $2K for this thing.

Apparently it has to be plumbed in. Might be a good candidate for a PID conversion. I don't understand that stuff much better than "watching", but if the controller can work the water valve and the steam taps, anything might be possible.

Sansibar99

#25: Post by Sansibar99 »

You might also be academically crucified, for the sacrileg of PIDing such a rare and hardly understood piece of ancient technology... :wink:
LMWDP #422

drgary
Team HB

#26: Post by drgary »

Agreed. A rare and attractive collectible that exemplifies the talents of a prolific designer should only be faithfully restored.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

DucaiMann (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by DucaiMann (original poster) »

Sansibar99 wrote:You might also be academically crucified, for the sacrileg of PIDing such a rare and hardly understood piece of ancient technology... :wink:

The trick is to find a workaround that doesn't damage the machine in any way and is fully reversible...

drgary
Team HB

#28: Post by drgary »

That's a good point. I've done reversible mods to several prized collectibles.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

donn

#29: Post by donn »

Sansibar99 wrote:You might also be academically crucified, for the sacrileg of PIDing such a rare and hardly understood piece of ancient technology...
I'm glad I quoted your reply, because that way I get to see the text of the "wink" graphic. In fact I was sort of joking, maybe I should have included a wink graphic as well.

But only sort of joking. I don't see that it deserves much respect as a historical artifact, if it's as awful a design as it appears to be. The act of purchasing it for $2K then becomes more of an esthetic matter, and that leaves a lot of room for what comes next.

pootoogoo

#30: Post by pootoogoo »

You know, Blai Farré is the only person to have one in his museum.
Enrico Maltoni will certainly not let this happen for long. :lol: