Making scrambled eggs with an espresso machine - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
kellzey

#11: Post by kellzey »

Did this just now in my Cimbali M32 (which has MEGA steam pressure). 2 eggs took like 15 seconds to cook and set. It's so fast, it goes from whirlpool to set in the blink of an eye.

I much prefer Ramsay's pan method with lots of butter, for taste, and to get the creamy-to-medium texture.

No fishy taste though! LOL

decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#12: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

kellzey wrote:Did this just now in my Cimbali M32 (which has MEGA steam pressure). 2 eggs took like 15 seconds to cook and set. It's so fast, it goes from whirlpool to set in the blink of an eye.
I agree, I think it's too hard to control the exact "it's done" temperature when steam cooking scrambled eggs. Interesting idea, but I'll pass.

Now, chocolate milk made on a steam wand, that's something else...

Advertisement
AssafL

#13: Post by AssafL »

Chocolate milk indeed works great on an espresso machine.

In fact hydrocolloids hydrate well on an espresso machine (hence I sometimes use the machine for making Ice Cream if I don't want to pull out the thermomix).

So if you want the thick style chocolate add corn starch - the steam tends to hydrate corn starch added to chocolate milk fully - but be careful - as hydration of the colloid sets in there is a real risk of getting splattered and scalded by hot chocolate lava. Remember that while hydration for cornstarch sets in at around 62 degrees C - it really thickens at 70C. Also remember that dispersion is much easier at low temps. So add the starch to the cold mixture. I like to add Vahlrona 70-80% couverture... As for dose - Ramon Morato suggests about 2.5-3% by weight which works well for coffee shop style thick chocolate milk. I sometimes use more and sometimes it becomes a pudding.

Works a treat and not that easy to clean as a "bonus" (albeit easier to clean than denatured eggs).
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.