Adventures with BFC Junior DB TCI. A case study with pictures. - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
tonythewonderful (original poster)

#31: Post by tonythewonderful (original poster) »

Seakiwi wrote:I am simply stunned by your journey Tony!

Thank you!

Actually it has been a while since my last post, and there have been so many new projects with the coffee machine and my roaster, I simply did not have time to write.
At the moment all I can offer is a little teaser-summary ;)

1. The machine's water tank is now connected directly to water filter, so I do not bother with re-filling.
2. I am now using a 1/8" thermocouple through an Eric's adaptor to measure group head temperature, and Artisan software to record it. Great for finding PID settings, fine tuning them and for monitoring temperature during shots.

After looking at Swagelok catalogs:

2. I have added a metering valve into the brew boiler feeding line, so now can control the rate flow with any precision I want. Great for light roasts and experiments.
3. The pipes into the brew boiler are now re-arranged, so that the grouphead is fed exactly from the top of the boiler. I am planning to replace all the brew boiler pipe works with stainless steel pipes and fittings from Swagelok.
4. The vibe pump finally got on my nerves to the point when I decided to outboard it (I was thinking about buying a rotary pump, but then decided to experiment with the vibe first).

So, it has been constant "work in progress". The good thing is that the machine is in working order, no matter what I do. I am hoping to write about all that one day, right now I am just a bit too busy.

Yes, that has been quite a journey, and I love every single moment of it. There have been some other things like grind preparation adjustments, I have connected my Hottop to Artisan, it never ends, you know.

a few pics:

Seakiwi wrote:It would be interesting to taste the same coffee/grind/dose through each of our machines side by side to see if there is any noticeable difference now.
I think it might be a great idea to meet up and check out our coffees :)
Just send me a private message, so we can arrange a day.