Building a lever machine.... from scratch - Page 31

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
barneyfife

#301: Post by barneyfife »

Incredible manufacturing skills. The machine will be fabulous.

bidoowee (original poster)

#302: Post by bidoowee (original poster) »

Thank you barney! Looking forward to finishing.

Today's installment is the first foundry production part: the brew reservoir. I made the prototype entirely from discrete stainless parts, but the complex form means that it is much more efficient to make a casting.

The prototype reservoir from 2016.

After a lengthy exchange with the foundry: one bucket-o-castings! Slightly more costly than KFC.

The rectangular blocks on the face of the flange are casting "risers" that provide a reservoir of liquid metal that is drawn into the casting as it solidifies to prevent internal voids from forming.

The large void in the surface means that this one is likely a reject and will go back into the melting pot.

A few days later and the parts arrived at my shop. So easy!

As the foundry molds have to be made anyway, I thought I may as well add the detail of the threaded nub on the side of the reservoir. This is an easy place to unobtrusively attach a thermocouple - the data from which may or may not be useful. Time will tell.

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#303: Post by pizzaman383 »

Again, very, very good craftsmanship!

How is the pre-group reservoir constructed and how does the water flow through it!
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

#304: Post by bidoowee (original poster) »

Thanks Curtis!

To answer your question - the reservoir is formed when the fitting is welded to the outside of the boiler. The volume of the interior of the mitered tube (which is closed off at one end by the boiler wall and by the group itself at the other) is about the same as the piston displacement i.e. one shot. There is an inlet on the top of the fitting which is fed from the outlet of the horseshoe HX in the boiler. The outlet is through the wall of the group flange.

The reservoir (primarily the water inside) provides the thermal bridge between the boiler and the group with the thermal losses of the group to the atmosphere being made up by conduction from the reservoir water. And of course it also physically holds the boiler and the group on the frame.

turboyeast

#305: Post by turboyeast »

LS,
I have been admiring this project from its start. Normally I am just leaching progress, but now I am starting to wonder if this project leads to inflation of existing Aurora B machines... :)
Great show!
Cheers, TY

#306: Post by bidoowee (original poster) »

Lol. Thx TY.

I think that there is already plenty of demand for Auroras - especially the single groups. Very hard to find!

turboyeast

#307: Post by turboyeast »

bidoowee wrote:Lol. Thx TY.
I think that there is already plenty of demand for Auroras - especially the single groups. Very hard to find!
Dude, you're on a stairway to heaven... :D
In honour and admiration of your project, see below...hopefully giving you some positive vibes.
Cheers, TY

#308: Post by bidoowee (original poster) »

Hey nice machine!

Do you know what its origin is?
It looks from the case that it is from the US - is that possible?

Reworked electrics? New feet?

turboyeast

#309: Post by turboyeast »

bidoowee wrote:Hey nice machine!
Do you know what its origin is?
It looks from the case that it is from the US - is that possible?
Unlikely, since I bought the machine (in bad shape) in Arnhem, The Netherlands.
Reworked electrics? New feet?
Yup, the whole shebang...I particulary like (and would also recommend) the auto-fill. Must be a piece of cake for you to do this mod. Happy to provide you with the details.
http://www.koffiepraat.nl/forum/viewtop ... &start=120

Cheers, TY

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#310: Post by pizzaman383 »

bidoowee wrote:Thanks Curtis!

To answer your question - the reservoir is formed when the fitting is welded to the outside of the boiler. The volume of the interior of the mitered tube (which is closed off at one end by the boiler wall and by the group itself at the other) is about the same as the piston displacement i.e. one shot. There is an inlet on the top of the fitting which is fed from the outlet of the horseshoe HX in the boiler. The outlet is through the wall of the group flange.

The reservoir (primarily the water inside) provides the thermal bridge between the boiler and the group with the thermal losses of the group to the atmosphere being made up by conduction from the reservoir water. And of course it also physically holds the boiler and the group on the frame.
Is the reservoir fed from the boiler water or via a heat exchanger? The fitting looks to be installed above what I would think would be the water level but I didn't see a place for a feed line fitting.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”