Temperature problem on E61 espresso machine - Page 8

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
musica (original poster)

#71: Post by musica (original poster) »

ira wrote:Or you could just use that element, replace the original thermal fuse and ignore the third tube.

Ira
I guess I'll first have to find out if it's only the fuse causing the malfunction or the whole heating element. Or am I missing something?

ira
Team HB

#72: Post by ira »

Doesn't seem like it. Until you know what's causing the problem, it's tough to know how to fix it.

Ira

erics
Supporter ★

#73: Post by erics »

Why not simply bypass the existing thermal safety (TEMPORARILY) and hook the wiring to the heating element?

Turn the machine on its side, fill the boiler with approximately 1 litre of water and install the heating element. Assuming that the heating element is OK and my original diagnosis of a leaking brew valve was incorrect, you should be in business.

Later on, install a regular thermal safety and all should be well.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Zircote

#74: Post by Zircote »

I have a Bric that had the exact same problem.
I descaled and opened the mushroom, took apart the lever controls.
I even removed the heating element.
Nothing changed the problem.
At this point I was pretty good at taking the thing apart.
My problem was the upper copper tube supplying the thermosiphon was clogged at the connection to the boiler.
No amount of descaler was going to touch that.
I removed all of the tubes to the boiler, after taking a few photos, and cleaned each one out.
Once back together it worked like a champ once again.
I hope that helps.

musica (original poster)

#75: Post by musica (original poster) »

erics wrote:Why not simply bypass the existing thermal safety (TEMPORARILY) and hook the wiring to the heating element?
How do you do that? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "hook the wiring to the HE". Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
Zircote wrote:I have a Bric that had the exact same problem.
I descaled and opened the mushroom, took apart the lever controls.
I even removed the heating element.
Nothing changed the problem.
At this point I was pretty good at taking the thing apart.
My problem was the upper copper tube supplying the thermosiphon was clogged at the connection to the boiler.
No amount of descaler was going to touch that.
I removed all of the tubes to the boiler, after taking a few photos, and cleaned each one out.
Once back together it worked like a champ once again.
I hope that helps.
That sounds exactly like the problem I had. The tube was really clogged, the hole was down to 1mm or so.

erics
Supporter ★

#76: Post by erics »

How do you do that? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "hook the wiring to the HE". Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
Your electrical friend that was going to teach you about a multimeter should understand.

Connect the orange wire from your pressurestat directly to the terminal on the heating element that has the existing safety thermostat connected. The wiring from your existing safety thermostat should be connected to nothing.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

musica (original poster)

#77: Post by musica (original poster) replying to erics »

OK, HE's working. Thanks. Now hoping the coffee will be good :|...

musica (original poster)

#78: Post by musica (original poster) »

It seems to all be working again. Thanks again, guys, for the helpful pointers :D