Izzo Alex Duetto: mod to easily access pump pressure adjustment

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
desmodici

#1: Post by desmodici »

Anyone with a duetto that has tried to adjust pump pressure knows how much of a pain it is (especially if under a cabinet and there isn't much room to lift the heavy outer cover off the frame)

Fairly simple mod, but thought I would share - I drilled a hole through the outer cover to align with the adjustment screw, giving me easy access through the case

chuckcoffee

#2: Post by chuckcoffee »

desmodici

Brilliant! :D :D I am surprised that Izzo never did that to begin with. I had thought about it but was hesitant but now... Looks very clean and not noticeable.

So can you provide some details. drill size , location, how you drilled.

Chuck

desmodici (original poster)

#3: Post by desmodici (original poster) »

Thanks and yes, I also wondered why they didn't do that from the factory, getting to the pump adjustment is a pain.

Steps I took:

1) removed the cup tray and unscrewed/removed the top cover
2) unscrewed the two bolts holding the outer shell
3) I was going to use a tap from the inside to align the hole, but just stuck my hand in and estimated the right position on the other side and used a sharpie to mark it from the outside
4) I used a 3/16 drill bit and just drilled. (To ensure the shavings don't scratch the area around the hole, you could put a peice of masking tape then drill through it). I didn't do this step and it came out fine. I used 3/16 because I have a thin screwdriver that fits, so I didn't want to drill any larger than needed.

Don't put too much pressure once the drill bit gets started and go slow (you don't want to punch through the other side and hit the pump). You could probably put a metal plate on the inside to protect the pump to be extra safe.

For an even cleaner look, you can drill a larger hole and put a rubber grommet to line the hole. Mine came out clean enough that I didn't feel the need to do that, but for the perfectionists out there it would finish it out nicely.

I hope that helps, please let me know if any clarification is needed or additional details.... It was pretty straight forward.

chuckcoffee

#4: Post by chuckcoffee »

desmodici

Done! I put a sheet of 3/8 thick plywood inside and used tape on the outside along with some coolant oil. I have a little burr on the outside around the dia that I still need to clean up but leaving that for later. I also drilled a smaller pilot hole as the drill bit was skating.

I have moved my pressure down from 9 to 7 bar

Good timing on your post given what's in the post below:

Oooohh snap:) great read : Low Pressure Rehash

Thanks Chuck

#5: Post by desmodici (original poster) »

Nice, glad to hear it worked out and I like the "improvements" you made to the process :D

Yes, one of the reasons I decided to do it and share was the recent topics related to lower pressure.
Either case, it should definitely come that way from the factory, especially since it's barely noticeable.

Gaius

#6: Post by Gaius »

Thank you for that simple but great idea.

I think I am going to drill a hole myself as well..
You guys drilled from outside toward inside or from inside to outside?

I am a bit skeptical of doing this "mod" since i am lurking over LMLM and somehow think this could lower the resale value :D

chuckcoffee

#7: Post by chuckcoffee »

Gaius

I drilled from the outside to the inside. I did not want to take the shell off. I taped around the hole and then had plywood inside. When you break through you have momentum and need to have something to stop that is not the pump. The shell is hard. I was using oil to keep the bit cool. I lightly hit my mark with a center finder and then used a small 0.08" drill bit to make a starting hole and then went to a larger hole. I do have a bit of raised material on the outside of the hole still to correct.

I'm not sure if a step drill bit might have worked better but the shell would need to come off for that.

Gaius

#8: Post by Gaius »

I see, thanks for all the tips, i might try the step drill, but i dont think ill find drill this small in local stores.

How did you measure than if you havent taken the shell off? Do you have exact measurements where hole meets the screwdriver slot on the pump itself?

Thanks a ton

chuckcoffee

#9: Post by chuckcoffee »

Gaius

Once I had the lid off I did some careful measurements. I used a caliper to measure from the top down to the pump adjustment. I had tape on the outside so I could mark the location. From the side I eyeballed .(you could plumb it as well) I checked the measurements from 2 directions for verification. Having had the shell off many times at the beginning I know that the shell can be moved around a bit so my measurements may not work for you,

Hope that helps

#10: Post by desmodici (original poster) »

I didn't measure, just winged it by removing the cup tray and top cover and sticking my finger to align with the pressure screw and estimating the spot on the other side of the shell. Then prayed and drilled from the outside :)
To drill from the inside you would need to probably remove the shell completely, which I didn't want to do (that thing weighs a ton and is a pain to maneuver)

Measuring will obviously give you less margin of error.

In terms of resale value, you never know, this could actually give it a boost (just need to market it the right way)
:D