Frozen coffee beans = RDT?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
bettysnephew

#1: Post by bettysnephew »

I have recently acquired several bail lid single dose spice jars and keep them in the freezer filled with beans. I have been noticing when taking the container to my grinder that there is a frost buildup on the outside of the jar that develops after removal from the freezer. I do not open the jar until I am ready to drop the beans into the grinder hopper. What I have noticed is a marked decrease in static of the ground coffee in the hopper since I started grinding this way. I am assuming that the beans must also be drawing a bit of moisture since they are still cold when they go into the grinder. Has anyone else noticed a similar occurrence? FWIW, Mazzer Major E.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

ilker

#2: Post by ilker »

Yes, I also have similar effect.
Due to condensation around the beans and less friction during grinding, static is less.

Advertisement
DanoM

#3: Post by DanoM »

Whether having your frozen beans exposed to the air is almost RDT depends on the humidity. In Los Angeles most days it probably didn't amount to much condensation, but now in Japan there's more humidity here and in the house. I started measuring out my doses and spreading them across the counter to pull in condensation when I had some beans with lots of static cling, and it did make a difference over keeping them stacked and less exposed to the air.

So now when I have a clingy bean I just spread out the doses across the counter to let them absorb as much condensation as possible... Seems to help a little bit, but I don't do RDT otherwise.
LMWDP #445