Talk me out of upgrading from Mahlkonig K30 to Peak! - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
thecatch83 (original poster)

#31: Post by thecatch83 (original poster) »

russel wrote:My feeling (based on actual ownership) is that the PEAK retains at least 8g of ground coffee in the burr chamber and chute, I'm leaning towards 10g based on purging while dialing in. The K30 holds back a lot less, 5g if I recall. The funny thing about the PEAK is that it will do a very good job of clearing it's grind path while running empty. If I grind until there are no longer beans in the burrs, I can still get 8-10g of ground coffee out by grinding "dry". The K30 doesn't do this. Most other grinders don't do this. Dittings do do this. So the PEAK's shot to shot grind path retention is higher than the K30's, but it's bean to bean retention is very low. Hopper to hopper retention is high for both (that's beans left in the grinder after closing the hopper gate and removing it).

Now, anyone is welcome to buy whatever they want, and I'm generally on board with going large on a grinder. However, I've been feeling that the increase in the number of high end grinders that equal or surpass the price of a Robur E has pushed this community's price expectations upward (and I would assume other online coffee enthusiast communities as well) without a solid growth in understanding of what these grinders are and aren't good at doing. It's hard enough to get people to grok the outcomes of The Titan Grinder Project and the "Can it beat a Robur" shoot out. Add to that grinders whose strengths lie in a very narrow stylistic range (light and long shots in the EK's case), grinders with commercial specific features (active heat mitigation, long life burr coatings), and grinders with commercial specific technical innovations (ClimaPro), and the entirely new grinders from boutique builders (Lyn Weber, Denis, and Frank); you have quite a bit new stuff and very few community members with actual first hand comparative experience. This leads to a lot of underinformed people mistaking price for a linear measure of quality or ability, which is not the case.

As a note: although you could buy both a PEAK and a K30 and return one after trying, you have a responsibility to let your vendor know that this is your intention. I think a lot of the vendors that participate/contribute to this community deserve at least that.
There is a reason companies like CC offer "buyer remorse" programs, and providing a play by play of someones intentions is unnecessary. I'm sure they can surmise that when you request an RMA number and place an order for another Grinder, this is exactly what you are doing. Thanks for your your concern.....

Advertisement
Marshall

#32: Post by Marshall replying to thecatch83 »

Why not order 5 grinders and return 4? There is a reason these policies are called "buyer's remorse." It's about consumers who make an honest, but bad, decision to buy. Most vendors are small companies owned by real people, who deserve the courtesy of letting them know your actual intentions upfront.
Marshall
Los Angeles

#33: Post by thecatch83 (original poster) »

Why not mind your own business and stop thread jacking (that's twice now).

We get it...the ethics police are lucky to have both of you fighting the good fight! Feel free to start your own thread regarding consumer protocol and your interpretation of what our responsibility is to vendors. This thread is about the k30 and the Peak, not town cryers and soap boxes.. :roll:

nuketopia

#34: Post by nuketopia »

It would be easier to just call the folks up at CC and talk with them a while about the two grinders. I've found them to be both knowledgeable and helpful in making decisions like this. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you make a good decision the first time.

#35: Post by thecatch83 (original poster) replying to nuketopia »

Way ahead of you....I have been speaking with MacKenzie for the last two weeks with complete transparency and it was actually her idea and recommendation to exchange for the Peak, and she offered me the RMA without me even asking. CC is expecting shipment next week.....

HB
Admin

#36: Post by HB »

thecatch83 wrote:We get it...the ethics police are lucky to have both of you fighting the good fight! Feel free to start your own thread regarding consumer protocol and your interpretation of what our responsibility is to vendors.
This is a buying advice thread and Marshall's right - abusing "buyer's remorse" policies will likely result in them being withdrawn. He made his point reasonably and respectfully; I cannot say the same for your reply. As an aside, the snarkiness of your reply did not go unnoticed by others, since it was the report of your posts that brought this thread to my attention. I believe I've asked you before, but if not, please review the Guidelines for productive online discussion, most notably #1. Thanks.
Dan Kehn