Fantastic Brazils For Espresso

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Col_Potter

#1: Post by Col_Potter »

We looking through the forums a few weeks back for a good espresso recommendation from Brazil and the best thread was the WOW thread, but it is huge and cumbersome beyond its usefulness, IMO. I ordered a few Brazils from different roasters and had a couple standouts worthy of mention while they last.

First to arrive was Agua Preta from Intelligentsia. http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/pro ... eta-brazil
Pulled 18g in and about 25 out, 30 seconds. Cup was quite unique, pink lemonade with lots of tropical fruit and a milk chocolate base. Different, in a good way.

Had two others arrive same day, one was very disappointing. First time ordering from this roaster in about a year and usually I like their stuff. Will mark it down as an anomaly and won't mention the name.

The other coffee was fantastic, a Brazil Fazenda Floresta pulp natural from Venia. https://www.veniacoffee.com/shop/coffee ... roast.html
Not the typical brazil profile either, mild nuttiness, Hersey's chocolate, sweet, and a fruit I can't put a finger on. The Intelligentsia Agua was much more potent in the cup, and one espresso was plenty. The Venia Fazenda Floresta was more tame and not so overloading on the palate, very easy to drink too much. :P Made an excellent cappuccino.

Both are great coffees, would love to hear what I should order next, so share your finds.
The Colonel

Col_Potter (original poster)

#2: Post by Col_Potter (original poster) »

Has anyone tried the Brazil Moka Peaberry from Redbird? I have heard of the Mokka varietal, is this the same? Never tried a Mokka. I looked at the cafe imports coffee tree map and see it is closely related to Bourbon. Their website doesn't give any specifics in the listing about coffee types. Haven't been too thrilled with the Red Bird Espresso the last couple orders, but this looks interesting.
The Colonel

Advertisement
RobertL

#3: Post by RobertL »

Have you tried Nossa Family?

http://www.nossacoffee.com/

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

Col_Potter wrote:Has anyone tried the Brazil Moka Peaberry from Redbird? I have heard of the Mokka varietal, is this the same?
Yemen coffees are called mokka or mocha, but come in three main varietals, Harazi, Sanani, and Mattari. "Mokka" or "Moka" trees have been planted on and off in the new world (IIRC, they are the Sanani varietal). They have the large advantage of being well suited to drier climates and lower altitudes, unlike most Arabica coffees. They have the disadvantage of being very low yield. Brazilian coffee areas are dry and low; it is also an agropower with major league research, trying to upgrade its coffees. So it's logical for them to be experimenting with Yemen varietals. I've also tried a few Mokka experiments from other places in the Americas. My guess based on tasting them and this background info is that you might get a "work in progress" coffee, probably interesting, maybe even good.
Jim Schulman