Looking for an affordable thermocouple thermometer to use with Artisan on my mid-2010 MacBook Pro - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
MaKoMo

#31: Post by MaKoMo »

day wrote:Could the mastech using USB as it's power supply prevent it from having those ground loop issues and other errors, or have I simply been lucky so far? (while I will eventually find out on my own if it does, it would be good to know in advance so I don't recommend the wrong thing to people!)
Yes. Battery or USB powered devices don't suffer much from ground-loop issues (which might be the cause of interrupted communication in the Mastech case).

day

#32: Post by day replying to MaKoMo »

I have no interruption with Mastech. I have read about Amprobe having interruption but never experienced it with Mastech.

I thought you said some battery powered devices suffer from ground-loop issues?
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

MaKoMo

#33: Post by MaKoMo replying to day »

If I said that I wanted to say it the other way around. A battery is not adding a ground, right.

NorthSeaGlass

#34: Post by NorthSeaGlass »

I have the Center 304.

It DOES work with my 2013 MacBook Air with El Capitan and Artisan.

However, it does not work with my MacBook Pro (early 2008, El Capitan).

Research have lead me to believe that that might have something to do with the 2008 Pro not being a TRUE Intel machine and dat could be conflicting with the SiLabsUSBDriver for the serial converter.

I have yet to test it with my mid 2007 iMac (El Cap).

Hope this helps a bit.

drgary
Team HB

#35: Post by drgary »

MaKoMo wrote:I am personally biased towards the Phidgets as it communicates directly via USB, does not need any extra power/battery (so no extra ground loops) and is in general a device without any issues. The Amprobe and Mastech device are cheap, but are known to produce communication errors every now and then and are more sensitive to ground loop issues. I am just about to implement an improvement based on Robs work that might improve the stability of the communication with those devices.
I use the Phidget 1048 and don't have the data noise issues I used to have with the Amprobe TMD56. I'm using a late 2008 Macbook with El Capitan. I plug it in, watch my readings on Artisan (thanks Marko!), and roast to my heart's content on a lovely perforated drum, propane powered North TJ-067.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!