Algorithm help...shifting the blond point? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
pcrussell50

#11: Post by pcrussell50 »

^^^ This.

I observe the stream color and corelate it with taste in the cup, after the fact, but I don't use it as a discrete, "shut off" signal for my espresso machine... Because blonding is not a discrete event.

Full agreement on light roasts, (which are how I home roast), and letting them run "blonder for longer" (rhyme intended). I rarely go less than 50% normale either, with a light roast.

I also play around with high flow rate baskets like VST as well as more standard flow rate baskets when I'm trying to dial in a new bean. I find it handy to have both, in my barista toolkit.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

mikesnow (original poster)

#12: Post by mikesnow (original poster) »

Ran about 10 shots this morning and changed the method completely. Just went by waiting for the stream to go almost clear and aiming for 50% BR by weight. Then just trying to make this hit about 30 seconds. Seems a lot better so far.

Problem now is that my grinder is choking again as I need to go finer to slow it down with this method. (Kompak K3 using 9 bar at puck and 15g VST basket) If I don't want to lower the brew pressure, my only option other than tamping harder is to go up a basket size or two, is this correct? (I have already updosed to 16g)

If so, would you recommend the 18g or 20g VST for me? Thanks again guys
Mike

pcrussell50

#13: Post by pcrussell50 »

VST baskets have a large amount of open area (hole-to-metal ratio), and thus less resistance to flow. If you are needing to slow down your timing, your options are to overdose your VST basket, or to get another basket. If you have a 58 mm portafilter, Breville's dual boiler baskets are also 58mm and are extremely precise in terms of hole sizing and spacing, like VST's. They are also the deal of the century for precision baskets, pricewise.

The different flow characteristics between VST and others are why I keep both in my barista kit.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

dominico
Team HB

#14: Post by dominico »

I keep VSTS as my mainstay basket because their lower resistance let's me grind finer, much finer. In today's third wave of light roasted espresso, anything which let's you grind finer is a good thing.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

happycat

#15: Post by happycat »

Bear in mind that finer grinding helps... All other things being optimal. So if you have poor distribution and consistency of grind, you may need to grind finer and finer to stop channeling (where water finds path of least resistance in your puck). With better consistency and distribution, you would get less channeling, and you could grind coarse and still have the whole puck effectively holding back water pressure. Bottom line: better consistency and distribution can allow a coarser grind.
LMWDP #603

mikesnow (original poster)

#16: Post by mikesnow (original poster) »

Hi,

I went back to using the 18g stock Quick Mill basket, noticed better extractions with less dead spots with the VST basket. So cleaned out my grinder and removed the burrs to get everything under there. Grinder is not jamming anymore.

I had had some difficulty with thinking my coffee was both sour and bitter at the same time....is there any way to rule out that the grinder is not causing this problem (the burrs are new)?
Thanks