Millennium Europiccola dripping from steam tip?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
pcrussell50

#1: Post by pcrussell50 »

I've read a few threads about leaky steam valves on Pavoni levers.

My millennium Europiccola has a slowish drip from the steam tip, and I'm wondering what the prognosis and options are? Do I need new O-rings? Or is it more likely the needle and seat? How successful is the process of using valve grinding compound to create a new seat surface? Other?

The rest of the machine is leak and drip-free and working great.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

day

#2: Post by day »

O rings are super cheap. Orphan espresso chargers a nominal cost for shipping, definitely grab some. I would say, just get the full set.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

AZRich

#3: Post by AZRich »

Peter -
I can highly recommend the PPCS 1/8" caps in the thread :

Dripping steam wand on La Pavoni Pro/Romantica

I finally replaced my first one after about 6 months. At that rate I will get 12+ years of no leaks
for $6.99 for a package of 25.
Rich

DanoM

#4: Post by DanoM »

I'll have to look for those silicone caps.

My La Pavoni has a little spitting leak on the steam wand too. If I clean the needle valve I get almost a week without it spitting, but after that it's back to it's nasty habits! I just keep the milk towel under that area to catch any drips and it seems to be working for me in the meantime.
LMWDP #445

AZRich

#5: Post by AZRich »

Hey Dan - I'm a big fan of your kludge grinder! I have the thread bookmarked and hope to do something similar
some day. If you or anyone else try the caps, I found that it is easy to close the valve too far and amputate
the tip of the cap. Fishing out that small severed bit is a pia, so now I just slice off the tip of the new one
when installing it. I also put a small sharpie dot on the shaft near the knob to remind me where to stop closing
the valve.
Rich

DanoM

#6: Post by DanoM »

Thanks for the warning about cutting those tips, I'd rather not have to fish that out if I can help it! Finding the tips here in Japan will take me some time, but I'm sure they powdercoat-paint here too so they should be available.

(The Kludge Grinder is working great. 7+ shots every morning for the 4 in this household.)
LMWDP #445

jtrops

#7: Post by jtrops »

I agree about the silicone caps. My steam wand hasn't leaked in months. I will have to pull it to see if its getting cut. That is something I figured could happen, but until it was mentioned here I had forgotten about it.

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#8: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

OP here...

Thanks to AZRich, I bought a pack of steam caps. And now, after not having used my machine since February, when I got it, I pulled out the steam knob and needle assembly to look at the needle in advance of putting one of the silicone caps on it. I don't know why, but I decided to re-assemble it without the cap, and fire it up and count the "drip rate" (IOW, one drip every xx seconds or yy minutes). Lo and behold, it didn't drip at all. I ran it for several hours non-stop and pulled a couple of shots with it... no drip. Weird. Still glad I have the caps as I have little confidence that it will remain drip free indefinitely. Thanks a bunch for the tip. I feel prepared now, in case it starts again.

-Peter
LMWDP #553