Micro time adjustments on Mahlkonig K30 Vario

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
thecatch83

#1: Post by thecatch83 »

Just set up my Mahlkonig K30, and when I go to adjust the dosing, the lowest setting I can turn on the dial is 1.0......for both single and double. What is the trick to being able to adjust below 1.0 for my single dose setting so I can use it for topping off?

Bob_McBob

#2: Post by Bob_McBob »

Unfortunately all K30s produced for the last few years have firmware that doesn't allow time settings under 1.0 seconds. Your best option is probably to just tap the switch briefly for a top-up.
Chris

thecatch83 (original poster)

#3: Post by thecatch83 (original poster) »

Cool, thanks Bob. I wonder why they got away from that? 1.0 second dosing gives me over 4 grams of coffee.....other than that, it's exceptional. I'm calling Brian at Mahlkonig to confirm and to get the scoop why they changed the firmware.

homeburrero
Team HB

#4: Post by homeburrero »

Bob_McBob wrote:Unfortunately all K30s produced for the last few years have firmware that doesn't allow time settings under 1.0 seconds. Your best option is probably to just tap the switch briefly for a top-up.
+1
For a top-up, or for purging a previous grind from the burrs I just give it a bump. Then press the dose button to reset it back to a full dose. At first I thought I wanted a 0.2 second setting for that, but turns out I don't need it. I dial in my single dose setting for my 18g VST, and the double dose setting for my 22g triple.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by uscfroadie replying to homeburrero »

+1
Merle

thecatch83 (original poster)

#6: Post by thecatch83 (original poster) »

Good idea....I guess the genius behind the adjustability is that you are always in barista mode because as soon as you release the grind button, distribution stops. Than you can always just reset and go. :D