50 mm Tamper for ROK ?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Stephane_Paris

#1: Post by Stephane_Paris »

Hi, first post here ;) i've discover the world of real Espreso 3 months ago, bought a ROK, kettle Bonavita adjustable and had a chance to get a grinder Feldgring MBK :D , i use a 51 mm tampers which fit Perfect, but he can't go under the line of the basket for single shot, does 50 mm will fit ? nobody here in Paris sell it to test, i can only order online, but i need to be sure before i place my order.. if someone can help me ;)

Thank's
LMWDP #588.

deegee

#2: Post by deegee »

I am not sure how much variation there may be in ROK baskets, but mine measures 49.9mm at the ring. A 50mm tamper would not get past it. Depending on the exact size of your basket, and the exact size of the tamper, it might or might not fit. If it did fit it would probably be very tight.
I use a 49.5mm tamper which allows me to tamp below the ring if necessary, though my usual dose normally tamps to just level with it. I don't think that there is any channeling down the sides of the basket, but I can't be certain, as I don't have a bottomless handle for the ROK.

Advertisement
bmb

#3: Post by bmb »

I would take the 51mm tamper and basket to a machinist (I'm sure there must be many in Paris, ask a car mechanic, if you don't know any) and let it fit the base to the proper size, shouldn't cost more than 10 or 20 euro.

Kevinmj70

#4: Post by Kevinmj70 »

I have an ROK and ordered a 49mm tamper on Amazon. Works great

sorrentinacoffee

#5: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

it is a 49mm basket so 50mm probably won't work. You could file off a mm from your tamper edge perhaps...

aecletec

#6: Post by aecletec »

51mm basket, my 49mm goes just past the ridge, but not much space to spare.

Stephane_Paris (original poster)

#7: Post by Stephane_Paris (original poster) »

I ordered here https://www.etsy.com/fr/listing/2594102 ... e_active_4]a 49,7 tamper to do single shot, i'll let you know ;)
LMWDP #588.

Advertisement
randyh

#8: Post by randyh »

49.7mm is the exact size tamper needed for the ROK basket to get past the ridge. It's not easy to find. I also ordered a "custom" tamper from Etsy, specifying 49.7mm and what I got was a 49mm tamper that is too small. Made by Knock used to make a 49.7mm tamper especially for the ROK but I don't think they do anymore.
What ended up working the best for me was a 49.6mm tamper I found on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UGBIFQY/ref ... 6mm+tamper

Stephane_Paris (original poster)

#9: Post by Stephane_Paris (original poster) »

randyh wrote: I also ordered a "custom" tamper from Etsy, specifying 49.7mm and what I got was a 49mm tamper that is too small.
From same seller as mine ?
LMWDP #588.

brianl

#10: Post by brianl »

I have used a 51mm tamper when I overdosed (above the ridge) and its fine. 49mm for if you need to go below the ridge.