Good Grinder Around $500 Budget - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
hrvojuliusmeinl

#21: Post by hrvojuliusmeinl »

Fiorenzato F5 grinder...

sweaner

#22: Post by sweaner »

I suggest waiting a few months to see how the Sette truly performs. Then you can make a better decision.
Scott
LMWDP #248

HB
Admin

#23: Post by HB »

Faspaz wrote:Baratza Sette. Take anything else off your list. It's also the best grinder under $2,000....one respected coffee aficionado just replaced his Compak K10 PB with the Sette. Mind you, that's a $1,300 difference in price. I say look no further.
Do you have any firsthand experience with the Sette? I ask because you sound a little too enthusiastic recommending a buy of a grinder that isn't yet for sale.
Dan Kehn

nurxhunter

#24: Post by nurxhunter »

The Sette looks fantastic; but, what's the catch? How can they sell this swell new technology for less than a mature product. Maybe this one is contracted out to China and Vario not. I was very impressed with this write up, until the highlighted text:

http://dailycoffeenews.com/2016/04/01/b ... -them-all/

Check this quote:
The Etzinger Mechanism works oppositely. The inner burr is stationary, and the ring burr spins around it, driven by a proprietary direct gear-drive system Baratza has licensed from another Swiss company and tested for strength and durability. Said Anderson, "You could probably hook a winch up to it and pull trucks up a hill."
Really?

I was thinking of pre-ordering. I now own the BCG820BSSXL, which I reviewed at Amazon (but bought elsewhere) under same name as here. For the price, it's a super grinder, but it may not last a long time, some have so reviewed. I cannot predict the definition of 'last a long time'. Will I last longer? So far, it's been six months and not a hitch.

The Breville has a straight vertical path, and I have consistently measured ~ 1% retention (with a slight spank to the unit at end, 0%). It has even more features, and looks svelte modern. It weighs ~6 lb, compared to Sette's ~7 lb, and the Vario is ~9 lb. Is weighter better?

I suppose the price of the Sette reflects lack of ceramic burrs, and 2 LB less weight. Is it possible the Sette will rule the world? Based on the brief video on the Baratza webpage, the Sette is not as quiet as the Vario. The Breville is reasonably quiet--comparable to Vario (I owned both).

So, what to make of the data? On the assumption it is valid, do we believe it is true? Or, so we hold that, like Al, that: 'not everything that can be measured counts, and not everything that counts can be measured'?

Here is measured data on several pricy grinders, and more below. Are the data valid; would a guy named Socrates make them up?

Grinder studies by Socratic Coffee

nurxhunter

#25: Post by nurxhunter »

Someone PM'd me suggesting I post the other image, so here it is. The link in previous post will bring you to the 'source'.

The two images together suggest that: some grinders have excellent cred based on (subjective) opinions posted at this and other sites, but they seem to have quite poor uniformity data, while other grinders largely ignored here have excellent data.

I guess there is belief, and there is data; somewhere in between might lie some truth.

The point is that data and user opinion support that the $229 shipped price of the Breville Pro grinder is a fantastic value for the money. This brings us directly back to the OP's original question, I think. But, if one has bias that this cannot be, because it is 'junk', then it will likely not prove satisfactory in face of such bias. Bias is a powerful force in any hobby. I paid retail price (+Tax!) from a brick-and-mortar store that allows lifetime returns, in case the unit does not hold up. So, unless they go bankrupt before I pass, I should be in good shape. Otherwise, I NEVER pay retail.

Because there is a fine line between a hobby and insanity, I might buy a Sette anyway, even though I am delighted in every way with the Pro (for now). Please do not consider this an endorsement, or lack thereof, for any grinder, because it is most definitely not.

aecletec

#26: Post by aecletec »

nurxhunter wrote: The two images together suggest that some grinders that: while some have excellent cred based on (subjective) opinions posted at this and other sites, they also seem to have quite poor uniformity data, while other grinders largely ignored here have excellent data.
Perhaps uniformity is not particularly important in a grinder, if people don't like how it tastes?
There is more to a grinder than just particle distribution. Perhaps particle shape, consistency of dosing, ease of adjustment/use etc.

nurxhunter

#27: Post by nurxhunter »

Of course, agreed. If anyone knows of other data, I'd be much obliged. In any case, there are other factors, measured or perceived.

BTW: Apology, I edited my post a bit to improve syntax, but not alter substance.

aecletec

#28: Post by aecletec »

nurxhunter wrote:Of course, agreed. If anyone knows of other data, I'd be much obliged. In any case, there are other factors, measured or perceived.
Definitely! I'd like to hear about taste comparisons of say... the Breville vs EK43...

DrJ

#29: Post by DrJ »

I have the Quamar M80e and really like it; picked it up for $485 through WLL which was a great price for a 63mm flat