Mahlkonig K30 still king of the sub $2000 grinder market? - Page 7

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
nuketopia

#61: Post by nuketopia »

thecatch83 wrote:Good points about listening to the people and first hand experience...but take that with a grain of salt as well. You should go back and read what several people (including one person who has posted in here) had to say about the Linea Mini. You would have thought it couldn't even steam milk :lol:
LOL, first hand, I can tell you, it steams milk.

My girlfriend saw the K30's at the Cafe I mentioned earlier. I pointed them out and she thumbed them down on looks alone. They're still on my list, but as a single-doser fiend, I put a deposit on a Kafatek Monolith conical (just under the $2k mark, so thread relevant). Can't wait till it gets here, but that will probably be a couple of months waiting for it to be made. I have a Ceado E37S on the way, because my Vario is too shaky at this point to keep band-aiding. I've gotten my money's worth out of the Vario for sure, it's made pretty good grinds for years.

thecatch83 (original poster)

#62: Post by thecatch83 (original poster) »

Awesome news nuke...make sure you post your first impression of the KM and how it compares.

bmb

#63: Post by bmb »

After a taste comparison, chose to buy a Mythos over a K30.
My personal choice, I feel the K30 excels in bringing out brightness, but prefer the Mythos, as I better taste the nuances and complexity (aside the brightness) while using the same beans.
It is also very consistent, extremely fast grind, great distribution and has very little retention.
However, after 3 weeks using it, I went back to the HG one for daily use ..
As I constantly change beans, an SD quite forgiving Grinder is more convenient and easier to dial in.
With the Mythos, just touch the white button and in a matter of seconds 60-100gr are gone for good.
When having guests, or while using less expensive beans, the Mythos is a great help, but for everyday use and for try outs (what many HB Colleagues also normally do), IMHO, nothing beats a SD.

malling

#64: Post by malling »

JohnB. wrote:The Mazzers will win in sheer mass but the K10 is far more refined. The dosers on the Super Jollys & Majors I owned were crude devices compared to the Compak PB/WBC dosers. I'm more interested in the best grinder functionally then I am the best paper weight.
I'm not going to disagree with you there. Mazzers body, body work and my oppionen motor and capacitor etc. Are of a more rigid construction, but i prefer Compaks adjustment system, their dosers and on-demand solutions by a long strech, this where also the reason behind the purchased of the k10 instead of a Mazzer conical.

For a home user the added robustness of a mazzer isn't really needed. My point where most pointed towards those who value robustness over all, mazzer would be a perfect mach if that is what you value. I rather have a grinder that is easy to use, adjust and delivers in the cup.

HB
Admin

#65: Post by HB »

TomC wrote:So that this thread can stay somewhat useful, we ask that contributors take a moment, take a deep breath and think before clicking submit on a reply.
I have to agree, I've noticed an uptick in declarative assessments site-wide without the context that supports them (e.g., actual testing by the poster, reports of others, third-party reviews). Why this should be clarified is explained in the site's Guidelines for productive online discussion:
Be open and honest. Many people rely on opinions presented in these forums as part of their purchase decision. The source of the information you present and basis of the opinions you express are as important as the statements themselves. For example, you should make it clear whether you speak from first hand experience, what you read elsewhere (and if appropriate, link to the source), or conventional wisdom.
Since these kind of administrative reminders are easily missed, I've put this thread on cooldown to give participants a chance to consider the recommendations above. Thanks.
Dan Kehn