Recommendation needed for NYC, Upper West Side - Page 2

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
atpkinesin

#11: Post by atpkinesin »

i went to the uws boxkite last fall, its incredibly tiny. i walked past it 3 times before finally finding it. i cant remember how the sign is, but it is hard to find. actually, you can see the sign on their website http://boxkitenyc.com/food-1/. my visit was great, the barista was very willing to talk coffee and i had an awesome aricha from drop coffee as an espresso.

Catherwood

#12: Post by Catherwood »

If you are still in NYC and go downtown again, Abraco on 7th, (not far from Box Kite) is worth a visit.

Most interesting coffee shop in NYC, Hi Collar on 10th Street. Japanese coffee bar, pour over, aeropress or siphon brew, no espresso. Sometimes the beans are bit over their prime and results can be barista specific but a good coffee experience. After 6PM it becomes a Sake Bar.

Went to Little Collins for the first time this weekend, my new go to place for mid town. Lexington between 55th & 56th.
Wife loved the cold brew. I am equally impressed with the food offerings

Filletfellini

#13: Post by Filletfellini »

There's currently scaffolding in front of Boxkite, making it hard to find. They desperately need an A frame chalkboard out front.

It's smack dab in the middle of the block, south side. They have a Peak there that I've gotten two great shots off.

mathof (original poster)

#14: Post by mathof (original poster) »

sco_tt wrote:Zibetto is somewhat close
http://www.zibettoespresso.com/locations/

Not third wave, but does the Italian cafe experience well for the US.
I had an espresso at the Zibetto Espresso Bar on Sixth Ave at the corner of 56th St. It was a very Italian blend but superior in quality to what I am used to drinking in Italy. I suppose this is because they can afford to use higher quality beans at $2.50 a shot than Italian bars can when charging only €1.

Matt