ECM Mechanika pressure problem - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
homeburrero
Team HB

#11: Post by homeburrero »

Gerrit wrote:f I put some pressure on the different openings I found that air can flow through the solenoidvalve towards the boiler even if the valve is not activated electrically.
This direction should be shut, and only open when activated, correct?
When not electrically energized, that valve should be closed tight. If it were to allow any significant flow when off, you might expect a lower brew gauge pressure when pumping against a blind filter. Also you might see the steam boiler pressure rise and overfill at the same time.

P.S.
Here's how I think the Mechanica is hooked up hydraulically. The fill solenoid valve should open only when a boiler fill is called for. Normally not open while you are brewing. The OPV valve is adjustable and should open when the pressure at that point reaches max desired pressure (usually set somewhere between 9 and 12 bar.) When the system heats up, water in the HX will expand, and pressure will build that is not shown on the gauge because of the check valve. If this pressure goes above 9-12 bar it is safely vented out the OPV. The hoses from de-aeration and OPV valves typically run back to the water inlet system.
pump --> de-aeration valve  --> T connection -->  T connection --> one-way valve --> T connection ---> HX  ---> brew head
                 ↓                    ↓                 ↓                                  ↓
               hose          fill solenoid valve    brew pressure gauge                 OPV valve
                                      ↓                                                   ↓
                               one way valve                                            hose
                                      ↓
                                  boiler
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

erics
Supporter ★

#12: Post by erics »

If I put some pressure on the different openings I found that air can flow through the solenoid valve towards the boiler even if the valve is not activated electrically.
Then, as has been previously suggested to you, the solenoid valve is faulty. Disassemble the upper portion of the valve, soak in white vinegar for about an hour or so. Reassemble the valve and test as you did before.

You will need to syphon about 2 to 3 cups of water from your boiler as it is obviously overfilled.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com