Buying advice for a real espresso machine/grinder upgrade

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Ezzy123450

#1: Post by Ezzy123450 »

Ready to upgrade.
After using a Gaggia (cheap) grinder and a LaPavoni millennium machine for the last 2 years ... It's time to step up to the big leagues.
I make 2 double shots each morning for myself and my wife, and one or two more in the afternoon each day.

For the grinder I am looking at three models and would love input from you all.
Mahlkonig K30 Air
Macap M7D
Compak E10
All are priced just under $1900. Any thoughts to which is better?

For the machine, I am looking at the Vesuvius to be able to tinker with the pressure profiles (I'm an engineer). Any other machines out there that will let me play with the pressure profiles?
Thank you all,
Ezzy

russel

#2: Post by russel »

You don't need a K30 Air, the regular K30 is all that a home environment will ever need. All that the Air adds is a fan to keep the grinder cool when under heavy cafe loads, that's continuous grinding for hours at a time, 100+ consecutive shots. There is nothing to be gained by a home user. Same goes for the fans in Compaks. Grinder heat is not an issue in the home.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

Ezzy123450 (original poster)

#3: Post by Ezzy123450 (original poster) »

Thank you Russel.
Great advice. I will reevaluate my choices. Any that you recommend?

thecatch83

#4: Post by thecatch83 »

CC has a Compak F8 buyers remorse on sale for $1,360 which is a killer deal. I would be all over this if I was in the market for a new grinder.

SCG has a coupon code for $125 you could use as they carry the k30 and a couple more options.

All the retailers are out of stock on the Vesuvius, but that would be an amazing purchase. I think WLL sells it for $3,999.

https://www.chriscoffee.com/Compak-F8-F ... -black.htm

Ezzy123450 (original poster)

#5: Post by Ezzy123450 (original poster) »

Thank you. I looked at scg.b Unfortunately, the coupon excludes the K30.
I'll keep looking for the Vesuvius & K30 combo and see if I can find a deal somewhere.
Thank you very much.