Remove shower screen on Bezzera Strega

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
lrh09

#1: Post by lrh09 »

Hi, can anyone show me how to remove the shower screen on Strega and how to put it back?

I am having difficulty doing that and kind of damaged the shower screen already.

Your help is much appreciated.

nickw

#2: Post by nickw »

You need to pry it out of there. Unlike other groups there is no screw, it's just held in by tension and the group PF gasket.

It helps to do it when the machine is hot. A flat headed screw driver is good (or you can use a small spoon). There is a lip on the screen you can pry against, it also helps to leverage against the bottom of the group. Try prying a little in steps, from the left, front and right, then repeat, trying to work it back and forth. It will come eventually.

To reinstall, (after everything is clean, group included) reassemble the shower screen + gasket and place them in portafilter, then use the PF to push the combo up into the group. Then lock/unlock the PF a few times to fully seat it.

Note: The group gasket often has a chamfered edge. Make note of how it comes out. Sometimes there is a chamfer for the shower screen lip, and also one around the perimeter of the gasket to help it glide into place. You may also need a new gasket. Depending on how much use your machine has, and the gasket age, it may be old and hard and cracked (which is normal). E61 group gaskets work, and iirc 8mm is about the right size. I'd opt for a new silicon one.

Over all, the more often you clean, the easier it will come out; I'd recommend weekly for regular home use (a few shots a day). For intermittent use you could do 1month.

radudanutco

#3: Post by radudanutco »

copied from another post in this forum:

it helps quite a lot - as several times stated here - to use a thin layer of food-safe lubricant (like Dow 111 - I use some Saeco type as available here) on all external surface of the gasket, before reinserting the screen-gasket assembly!
and I use some hard wooden stick cut accordingly to force the screen off (pry it on the edge), and also to push the gasket up into its place;