Compak E10 grinder + which espresso machine? - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
newrevolution123

#21: Post by newrevolution123 »

Well if you like to tinker with the machine, and want to have an excellent DB espresso machine that delivers more features than its highly priced counterparts then....you should consider buying the Vesuvius. I have it paired up with a E10 and honestly won't even consider a Slayer or GS3 (not that I find them unattractive but somewhat limited in term of functionality and unable to pressure profile). You will not believe the possibilities of the machine.
HighlyCaffienated wrote:Thanks everyone for the great responses. I think there are two important points I missed in my first post.

First, I am a person to likes to "tinker" and adjust/tweak/etc in everything I do (guessing most on this forum are the same...). So, when looking at my vast choices for espresso machines, I am immediately drawn to the ones with a feature set that will allow this. Currently, most of these features are reserved for the most expensive offerings. I've got my eye on the DE1 and their products for sure, but now that I have a grinder on the way, I am hoping to make my first espresso machine purchase this week.

Second, I haven't even touched on the human-controlled aspect to all of this process. I am vaguely-aware of the various methods out there, where different processes can produce a vastly different serving of espresso on the same gear. Everything from your grind purging habits, tamping style, weight, timing, water, etc, but have yet to put them into action for myself. I fully acknowledge that one can purchase a very expensive setup and completely fail at making drinkable shots. I am excited to learn, and am hoping to set myself up with gear that I know I will be able to enjoy throughout the process.

All that said, I know I have a ton more research to do in this category. Lever machines do appeal to me for all of the reasons mentioned above; but I have not even began to scratch the surface there. Same goes with the Slayer, modded GS3, Speedster, etc. Given the time it's taken me to look into just the "starter" > HX > DB machines out there, I think I may opt for the BDB now, so my E10 doesn't get lonely. It's got enough of the features that I can learn and tinker with, while researching which direction I may want to go for my second machine.

...I think I just admitted that it's inevitable that I'll have a second espresso machine somewhere down the line. This was not my thought or intention when I started down this rabbit hole a few months ago!
"Success is something you attract by the person you become.” -- Jim Rohn