Descaling La Pavoni Pub V Boiler with Rocks

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
dsevier

#1: Post by dsevier »

I purchased a Pub V built in 1990 with a fair amount of scale in the boiler. It also had a black coating which may have been milk sucked back into the boiler (mine does not have a vacuum breaker...). I will describe my results with various techniques, not all of which I would recommend...

Much has been written on cleaning boilers so this is just more fodder on the subject. I hate to admit this, but for the purposes of full disclosure, I initially used LimeAway gel that removed a lot of scale but left a faint odor. And yes, I would not use that anywhere I could not rinse, re-rinse 10 times. It left a faint but detectable smell in the boiler. Also, there was a small amount of residual film in the in the boiler that was sort of a clear tannish color. I then went to citric acid in hopes that it would remove the remaining film and faint smell of the LimeAway but it didn't. But, to be clear, I would not use LimeAway again for a variety of good reasons. I only used citric acid in the HX pipe so was happy about that since it is much more difficult to flush.

A technician at a local espresso machine repair place some descalers 'get into the metal and you can't get it out'. I think it was the small areas of film that held the smell of the LimeAway and I thought about using a mechanical action to remove it. A metal brush worked great for the areas I could access but some parts were beyond reach. Some people talk about bead blasting a boiler. I don't have such equipment but that might have trouble reaching areas beyond what th nozzle can point to. And that seems like way too much mechanical action for me. Now I will get to the interesting part...

I decided to try to remove the small amount of scale that remained in my boiler with small sharp rocks that I got from a landscaping rock place. I know this sounds unusual but but it seems to have worked. I had some crushed rocks with sharp edges that were about 1/4" to 3/8" in size. I added a couple of cups of that to the boiler through the heater element hole and a bit of water and then sloshed it back and forth and up and down as robustly as my upper body strength would allow. It reminded me of a rock polisher. Anyway, after spending probably a total of 10 minutes sloshing spread (across a couple days), I was left with a boiler interior with a surface covered by fine scratches and no film and no smell. The photo shows the interior as silverish but it is copper.