Nuova Simonelli Oscar vs. Livia 90 - Help Me Decide TONIGHT

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
tennisjohn

#1: Post by tennisjohn »

For over a year I have been using a Hario hand grinder and a Saeco Classico with non-pressurized. I bought the Saeco non-op, and completely refurbished it myself. Flawless little tool. But dammit I've paid my espresso dues, and so its time.

Many double espressos and much reading here later...

Five minutes ago I ordered a Macap M4.

And now I am about to buy one of these 2 machines locally. Both from good homes. To complicate things: Both exact same price to the penny. $525.00

Honestly i have always liked both of these machines. I have read about both and seen videos of both. I like both!

But what say you? Which would you pick for a guy who pulls 3 doubles a day on average, and possibly 2 macchiatos a week, with a Macap m4, for home use?

Please join in the conversation quickly because these machines don't last long. I will contact both owners by morning with my choice.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Livia 90's pop up quite often and at lower prices. I'm just saying that so you don't feel rushed into a purchase based on cost only. If it were in near new condition, it's not a bad price.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

tennisjohn (original poster)

#3: Post by tennisjohn (original poster) »

Thanks tom. I haven't seen any come up that look this good. By good i mean any espresso vendor could sit it on a store shelf for display purposes no problem. Others i looked at were...well used lets say :)

But yes, if i dont get it, another will come along surely. Hardly a rare machine.

Between these two machines, though , what would be your preference?

The oscar can be easily modded to be something a step above the pasquini in everything but looks....perhaps a step and a half above actually. Is that fair to say?

Note: livia in question is the manual "S" model so no volumetric on either of these machines. Not something i care about personally.

h3yn0w

#4: Post by h3yn0w »

Both are good , proven machines, and will produce equally good results. I would get the one that looks better in my kitchen. For me that would be the livia as I prefer stainless steel over plastic.

tennisjohn (original poster)

#5: Post by tennisjohn (original poster) »

Bought the Livia 90 :)